Decided not to FEAR the GEAR!

GotMustangs

May 11, 2003
Tacoma, WA
And damn, am I glad! Got my 4.10's installed yesterday, and finally got some dry pavement tonight :D . All I can say is HOLY *****!! This should have been my first mod. It was by far the best mod I have done so far. To all those out there who are debating between 3.73 and 4.10......DON'T FEAR THE GEAR! You will not be disappointed! :nice: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:uzi: 3.27's :owned:

• Sponsors (?)

GotMustangs said:
And damn, am I glad! Got my 4.10's installed yesterday, and finally got some dry pavement tonight :D . All I can say is HOLY *****!! This should have been my first mod. It was by far the best mod I have done so far. To all those out there who are debating between 3.73 and 4.10......DON'T FEAR THE GEAR! You will not be disappointed! :nice: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Soon as my cash-pile grows i'll be adding the gears. you go with FRRP or another brand?

tarch said:
Where in wa did you install and how much did it set you back?

I had it done at All Ford Performance in Vancouver. It was like a 130 mile drive, but worth it. Labor was $240, the Track Lok rebuild kit was $75 (which included an extra set of clutches to make the diff tighter), and Amsoil fluid was another $18. Total with everything, including the gears and the Speed Cal (which I installed myself) was $580. Pretty reasonable, I thought.

GotMustangs said:
I had it done at All Ford Performance in Vancouver. It was like a 130 mile drive, but worth it. Labor was $240, the Track Lok rebuild kit was $75 (which included an extra set of clutches to make the diff tighter), and Amsoil fluid was another $18. Total with everything, including the gears and the Speed Cal (which I installed myself) was $580. Pretty reasonable, I thought.

So, what are your rpms in 5th gear at 70 and 80 mph?

Matt

GotMustangs said:

I overcome my fear also today. i ordered 4.10 FRPP for my 01 GT auto. But man it took me few minutes to finally press the damn order button on the screen, but i did it :hail2:

Just have to wait spring now, loooooooooooooong winter ahead :D

tarch said:
Where in wa did you install and how much did it set you back?

I'd be curious to know what the install ran as well. I got quotes from various shops in Seattle/Everett and they ranged from $400 - $700 LABOR, which I thought was pretty ridiculous. If you found a good shop with better rates I'd like to get in on that! My gears are already done, but if they provide other services it'd be great.

Thanks,

Jay

~B7~ said:
GotMustangs,

Do you have any pictures of your car? I'd love to see it.

I might have some that I took in the dark, but since I just recently reformatted my hard drive, I don't have the digital cam drivers loaded. Maybe I'll wash her up tonight and post some pictures here. I know I've got some of before the wheels/tires/suspension (it had Eibach Pro-Kit springs on it previously). Here let me see if I can post some of the old ones for now.

4.10's = teh win. :banana:

I did have a slight fear of the gear before I got them, but I went with what everyone says to do:

DON'T FEAR THE GEAR!

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I didn't do it sooner. :nice:

GotMustangs said:
Here's another one. I'll try to get some newer ones later tonight. Kinda busy right now, trying to decorate a Christmas tree with a pair of 2 1/2 year old twins, a dog, and a cat running around. :nonono: Hopeless.

sweet car... not really a fan of yellow though... i saw a bike in the background, is it yours? if so what is it...

NightLife said:
sweet car... not really a fan of yellow though... i saw a bike in the background, is it yours? if so what is it...

Thanks. Usually you either love the yellow, or hate it. Some guys tell me it's girly, and the fact that a girl owned it before me and had a license plate on it that said "TWEEDY", doesn't help my case any :nonono: . But I like it....it turns heads. Nope, the bike isn't mine, it was a friend's :( . It's, I think, an '01 Suzuki TL1000. With an aftermarket pipe and jetted carbs, he did 9.48 @ like 146 mph in the 1/4 mi. Now that's haulin' ass!

about the gears.. do u have stock tires/wheels? if so, how long does it take u to hook up in second after shifting? and i mean strong fast shifting. cuz thats whats stoping me from getting gears at all...

jorge said:
about the gears.. do u have stock tires/wheels? if so, how long does it take u to hook up in second after shifting? and i mean strong fast shifting. cuz thats whats stoping me from getting gears at all...

I've only driven it on MOSTLY dry pavement once, and it was really cold outside, wihich doesn't help traction any. I have Nitto 555's front and rear in 275/40-17. Second spins for a good while if I nailed it hard enough, then I get a chirp out of third. I think it'll do alright on the track, though.