Decided not to FEAR the GEAR!

• Sponsors (?)

jorge said:
about the gears.. do u have stock tires/wheels? if so, how long does it take u to hook up in second after shifting? and i mean strong fast shifting. cuz thats whats stoping me from getting gears at all...

gears + stock tires + "hook"

:lol: :rlaugh:

You just need to roll onto the throttle through 1st, and go easy on the 1-2.

jorge said:
about the gears.. do u have stock tires/wheels? if so, how long does it take u to hook up in second after shifting? and i mean strong fast shifting. cuz thats whats stoping me from getting gears at all...

it's not bad at all if the tires are warmed up a little. now if it's cold outside & you nail it with cold tires, now that's another story :D i had them in my old car & loved them, i wish that would have been my 1st mod, cause it certainly was the most noticable :hail2:
right now i'm waiting till christmas to get started on the modding, cause i'm waiting to see what i get :D , but i'm not going to install any of it until i can get a few runs at the track bone stock. but you better believe that 4.10's are going to be in the stack of parts waiting for install :D

yea... i plan on getting 315 out back matted to 18's. (i like the looks) anyways, my car is bone stock. and in miami, its kinda warm down here, but still spin on 1-2 and chirp 3rd. so if it does this stock, i cant think of what it'll do with 4.10's..

BTW what should i be shifting at? cuz i just read about someone shifting right after 5000 rpms? so i tried it, and i got nasty spin on 1-2(nice fishtail) anyways, what should i be shifting at to make the best of my powerband? (remember=stock)

jorge said:
yea... i plan on getting 315 out back matted to 18's. (i like the looks) anyways, my car is bone stock. and in miami, its kinda warm down here, but still spin on 1-2 and chirp 3rd. so if it does this stock, i cant think of what it'll do with 4.10's..

BTW what should i be shifting at? cuz i just read about someone shifting right after 5000 rpms? so i tried it, and i got nasty spin on 1-2(nice fishtail) anyways, what should i be shifting at to make the best of my powerband? (remember=stock)

Just gotta see what works best for you. Peak HP stock is supposedly around 5250RPMs. When I got my 13 second timeslip, I was bringing it pretty close to 6000.

so is the general consensus that one should shift at 5250's? or take it higher? like readline? like is the "norm" to shift at ur peak HP curve? or should u shift to where ur rpms on next gear falls on torque peak?

jorge said:
so is the general consensus that one should shift at 5250's? or take it higher? like readline? like is the "norm" to shift at ur peak HP curve? or should u shift to where ur rpms on next gear falls on torque peak?

like gino said you have to feel it out & see where your car shifts the best. i have a stock 03 gt & i shift at about 5500-5600, that seems to work the best for me so far. our tracks have shut down for the year, so all my "testing" is done on back roads :D

CottonBurnerz said:
Hate to go a little off of the topic but can anyone find a place that can beat $139.99 for 4.10 gears + $16.95 shipping charges from gefracing.com? and does dallasmustang sells the cheapest speedcal? thanks

Like I said earlier in this thread, I got Summit Racing to beat GEF's price, since they only charge $8.40 or something for shipping and handling. Just make sure you have a current magazine that both Summit and GEF advertise in. I used the Jan '04 issue of 5.0 Magazine. I got my SpeedCal for $100 I think shipped from Partshopper. Hope this helps. :nice:

forpit2000gt said:
Was the kit just the ring and pinion? Did it have crush sleeve, pinion nut, shims???

That was just for the gears. The guy that did my install included everything else in the install.

Got a question for you guys with 4.10's. What kind of 1/4 mile gains should I expect with just the gears?

GotMustangs said:
That was just for the gears. The guy that did my install included everything else in the install.

Got a question for you guys with 4.10's. What kind of 1/4 mile gains should I expect with just the gears?
That is one good thing about going to a shop that does gears. My friend has a shop and has crush sleeves and pinion nuts, bought in bulk. A bunch of shims, carrier and pinion. Most people don't have that stuff just laying around. :nice: