Decided not to FEAR the GEAR!

• Sponsors (?)

GotMustangs said:
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

it means, people need to look at more than just how hard it pulls in first gear with your stock motors. trying launching 4:10's on a motor that actually makes power, then you might understand what i mean.

TeriiK said:
it means, people need to look at more than just how hard it pulls in first gear with your stock motors. trying launching 4:10's on a motor that actually makes power, then you might understand what i mean.

Please don't try to start a flame war in my thread. And for your information, launching w/4.10's and 28" slicks will just be flat mean. If you don't agree with 4.10's, either don't bother posting in this thread, or at least ATTEMPT to say so in a tactful manner. BTW, what kind of "actual power" does your car make? I just think you're scared of 4.10's because you know you'd end up slamming into ANOTHER curb. :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: All in good fun, just my $.02. :nice:

TeriiK said:

:scratch: Slicks anyone? :shrug:

as long as you know what your doing, & get launching down with them, they are no different from the stock gears to launch, other than the obvious differences. i got consistant 2.0 60's at the track, with my street tires. :nice: i couldn't imagine launching with slicks & 4.10's :eek:

GotMustangs said:
Please don't try to start a flame war in my thread. And for your information, launching w/4.10's and 28" slicks will just be flat mean. If you don't agree with 4.10's, either don't bother posting in this thread, or at least ATTEMPT to say so in a tactful manner. BTW, what kind of "actual power" does your car make? I just think you're scared of 4.10's because you know you'd end up slamming into ANOTHER curb. :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: All in good fun, just my $.02. :nice:

aww, how cute, he doesnt like the truth. you are also far from the person to be preaching about "tactful" manners, but please continue, it cracks me up. why are you so worried about what power my car makes? maybe if you worried about your motor more, you might understand why 3:73's make sense for fast cars. its that simple. ill be posting numbers and dyno sheets shortly, the new setup is running next saturday at our local track.

we build a lot of mustangs at my work (TAG Motorsports). some people want 4:10's, some 3:73's. when they ask me the difference, i explain it like this; 4:10's will make you faster now, 3:73's will make you even faster later. so basically, the guys who arent planning on breaking out of the 12's (i wonder if you know what 12's are like?) get 4:10's. the people who actually want to go fast, install 3:73's.

it doesnt seem like you know how gears work. understand that gears in the rear are essentially "work multipliers" you can set them up to apply more work over a shorter distance, or less work over a longer distance. still with me, GI Joe? grunts nowdays are supposed to be sharp, so ill continue... when you go too high with your gears, you will be facing 2 issues, wasting torque by too short an application distance, and having to shift into 5th right before the trap. the 1st issue is something only really fast (single digit) cars have to worry about, and i dont think you'll ever have to worry about that. the 2nd issue is something 11 and 10 second mustangs face. unless you want to rebuild the tranny so 5th isnt so tall, you'll simply be slower in the quarter with 4:10's than 3:73's... still with me, or did i go too fast? tell you what, if you still dont get it, go ask one of your CO's...they have a college education. its a neat thing, i sure liked mine...how about you?

TeriiK said:
aww, how cute, he doesnt like the truth. you are also far from the person to be preaching about "tactful" manners, but please continue, it cracks me up. why are you so worried about what power my car makes? maybe if you worried about your motor more, you might understand why 3:73's make sense for fast cars. its that simple. ill be posting numbers and dyno sheets shortly, the new setup is running next saturday at our local track.

we build a lot of mustangs at my work (TAG Motorsports). some people want 4:10's, some 3:73's. when they ask me the difference, i explain it like this; 4:10's will make you faster now, 3:73's will make you even faster later. so basically, the guys who arent planning on breaking out of the 12's (i wonder if you know what 12's are like?) get 4:10's. the people who actually want to go fast, install 3:73's.

it doesnt seem like you know how gears work. understand that gears in the rear are essentially "work multipliers" you can set them up to apply more work over a shorter distance, or less work over a longer distance. still with me, GI Joe? grunts nowdays are supposed to be sharp, so ill continue... when you go too high with your gears, you will be facing 2 issues, wasting torque by too short an application distance, and having to shift into 5th right before the trap. the 1st issue is something only really fast (single digit) cars have to worry about, and i dont think you'll ever have to worry about that. the 2nd issue is something 11 and 10 second mustangs face. unless you want to rebuild the tranny so 5th isnt so tall, you'll simply be slower in the quarter with 4:10's than 3:73's... still with me, or did i go too fast? tell you what, if you still dont get it, go ask one of your CO's...they have a college education. its a neat thing, i sure liked mine...how about you?

dude why did you get all pissy, he was being civil for the most part, just poking a little fun. everyone has different ideas on what they want for their car. i'd say that about 80 percent of people on here aren't hard core drag racers, & the 4.10 is just fine for them. that's great that you like your 3.73's, & i'm sure that they are best for your set up, but maybe 4.10's are best for him, so why act like that

I think we all can understand, or are capable of understanding what you're trying to say. How about trying to make your point in a constructive way that isn't inflammatory? I've always thought we had a pretty friendly, informative environment here...

Edit: **Nevermind**

lol i love it, the guy makes fun of my slamming into a curb and F'in up my axle, and im the one out of line. dont ***** with the fire if you cant stand the heat.

just saying, he started with the personal attacks, i was simply talking gearhead till he started with that crap. so i replied. if you insult someone, you get it back... thats life.

TeriiK said:

First off, I'm not a grunt. No, I don't have a college education, because I've been serving our country since I graduated high school. I've also worked with numerous officers who "had a college education", but they were still dumb as rocks. College doesn't make you an intelligent person. Either you're born with it, or you aren't. I'm not saying anything bad about being educated either, education is a great thing. I am actually an extremely bright person, probably too much so to be stuck in the job I'm in currently, but that's life. I most definitely understand how gears work. With my current mods, 4.10's were by far my best choice. The term "don't fear the gear" comes from people who are hesitant to install 4.10's in a daily driven car due to higher cruising RPM's. If you must know, these gears will probably only be in the car for the next two years or so. I want to run as fast as I can while staying NA for the time being, in which case, 3.73's would not give me the gains I need. I realize that with stock diameter tires, my 4.10's are only good for about a 110 mph trap, which won't get me into the 11's. My goal is just to break into the 12's NA. Not incredibly easy with bolt ons, but that's my goal. Eventually, I am probably going to get an Eaton posi with 31 spline axles and 3.73 gears to set up the car for a blower. So, you see, there is nothing wrong with 4.10's. I did not make any kind of uneducated decision on this, I really thought long and hard, then decided I wanted to pick up that extra tenth now. I realize I'll probably be throwing money away, but this car is my hobby. If it always stayed the same, it wouldn't be any fun. Sorry I slammed you, but I'm having a really bad night and your post rubbed me the wrong way. For the record, I really didn't mean anything personal by it, and I would never wish to see someone's Mustang get cracked up. Remember, we're all on the same team here. :nice:

mity2 said:
with 4.11s, how bad is the first gear? I have heard that with 4.10, 1st gear is pretty much useless....

I still wish I knew for sure. The only time I've driven it on mostly dry pavement, it was really cold outside, so I really didn't hook up at all. From what I've heard, on street tires I'll have to ease into the throttle in 1st and then go a little easier on the 1-2 shift. I should know for sure in about 5 months, when we actually get some dry weather here in the Pacific Northwest. :nonono: :D

GinoGT said:
4.10's = teh win. :banana:

I did have a slight fear of the gear before I got them, but I went with what everyone says to do:

DON'T FEAR THE GEAR!

The only thing I don't like is the fact that I didn't do it sooner. :nice:

Had 4.10's in my car since it had 900 miles on it they are cool. Now I am switching to 4.30's :D