Deciding if it is time for a torque converter???

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
Well, Lately I have been thinking it time to do the converter. My only problem is since i am building the new motor, I wonder it I should waitm just becuase I might change things in the parts list.

The specs I have been leaning towards are a 9.5in, lockup, stall somewhere around 3200.

Questions--

1.) Do need a Lockup?

2.) Do I need a mutidisk?

Dustin

• Sponsors (?)

Nagash01WS6 said:
What transmission are you running?

What kind of power do you plan on making?

Any power adders?

What will your planned powerband be?

It will be going in my AODE

Hoeping to make 310 rwhp NA then spray 150-175, might go as high as 200 depending which pistions and rods I buy.

Yes, Nitrous

Here is one of my problems I would like to be able to take it up to 6800ish, but since this is a street car DD, i need to keep it tame. The car will get tuned. The guy doing the tune knows his **** so no worries there.

Dustin

BuickNick said:
Lock-up is for gas mileage...
3200 sounds pretty high to me. I assume you're new motor will have a cam? usually the cam specs will recommend a converter stall.

I have been planning on running a Trickflow stage 2 converter.

Here is the plan for the motor

306 10.5-10.8 Compression
Stock block, crank

probe forged rods and pistons
Ported Edel heads

Ported Edel RPM Intake Manifold, fox swap
Trick FLow Stage 2 cam
N20 dual stage 150-200
AODE with converter, 410s

Tune

Dustin

PS ---I might still go with a custom cam, the more I think about the more it sounds like a good idea.

Nagash01WS6, was it your wife that found the PI converter in her car? If so did you sent it in to get reflashed?

This is what I am thinking, I found a used PI stallion 9.5 local. It is brand new in the box. If I buy that can I sent it in to get restalled. It was only a 2600-2800. Will this cost me anything?

Dustin

Nope, we didnt send it back. Motor is still stock so going much higher than 2600-2800 is pointless.

AFAIK PI will re-stall the converter once for free.

If you want to rev it to 6800, def go for a custom cam, and you'll want a decently high stall as well. Dont be scared to get up there in stall rpm. You want it to stall when you are into your powerband, not below it.

You will also gain a LOT of energy from the converter spinning so much more quickly than everything else from a high flash, so torque multiplication will be rather high when you launch.

Id give Precision a call and make sure it has an anti-ballooning plate in there, but I am pretty sure they do.

i got a edge racing converter and love it. it's built for my h/c/i combo and is 3000 stall. after the h/c/i is installed Andrea said it will stall at 3200.

i love mine and it totally woke the car up.

you cant put in a non-lockup unless you change the input shaft to a one piece.

give Andrea a e-mail or better yet a call at Edge racing and tell him your plans and he'll tell you what he recommends.

Dan is yours a multi disk? Do you have any track times with and with out the converter? Edge is next on my list right now. I am trying to buy this PI from a local guy. If I can't get the PI, I am going to look into edge/ art carr.

Dustin

BTW-- will I need the mutidisk?

mine is not a multidisk.

no track times. cars going into storage for winter tommorow so maybe in the summer i'll have some times.

i'm not sure, so dont take my word for it.... i dont think you'll be able to re-stall unless your the original purchaser or proof of purchase and it depends on how long ago the purchase was. i think you have a time frame of 2 years

not sure about the multidisk. i should of gotten it for what i'm planning to do but i'll be ok. because your going to be running the heavy juice i would go for it.

contact andrea and see what he says about the multidisk

Dan95-5.0 said:
mine is not a multidisk.

no track times. cars going into storage for winter tommorow so maybe in the summer i'll have some times.

i'm not sure, so dont take my word for it.... i dont think you'll be able to re-stall unless your the original purchaser or proof of purchase and it depends on how long ago the purchase was. i think you have a time frame of 2 years

not sure about the multidisk. i should of gotten it for what i'm planning to do but i'll be ok. because your going to be running the heavy juice i would go for it.

contact andrea and see what he says about the multidisk

I will have the original proof of purchase and it was bought 12/15/2003, so right at the 2 year mark. I tried calling PI but no one anwered. I am thinking I have to have the mutidisk. When the tranny goes I will upgrade and get all the goodies (trans brake, manaul v-body)

Dustin