Deciding on which cams...

SHOWTIME!!

May 14, 2008
It's to hard to choose which cams i want for the time being. I know there are actually alot of people that make cams for 4.6's. The ones i have decided on are:

Comp stage 2's
HighTech Stage 2's
Trickflow stage 2's
Patriot Stage 2's

Which ones do ya'll think???? Are there another brand cam that would be better than one of these? If so, let me know. Because im going to order cams this week.

P.S.- The intake that i am running is a Victor Jr with the MMR adapter plate for a stock plenum and throttle body. I dont know if that would matter to much on picking a cam but that's what i got. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

After alot of resarch I went with HiTech stage IIs. I don't have them installed yet but they are one of the few stage IIs that won't drop the low end tq and alot of people with just full exhuast and the Hitechs make 300 +rwhp.

Problem with the Trick Flow Stage 2 cams from what I understand, is that they have too much lift for a stock head and you may run into piston-to-valve issues without notching your pistons. I was told they are designed to work PTV issue-free on the Trick Flow heads but that may not be the case with regular PI heads.

Me personally, I would choose the HiTechs... I don't think I've ever seen people so happy with a modular cam before. Their specs really are different than almost any other mod cam out there, and the numbers are backing up that their design works.

What are your plans for the car? N/A with stock or ported or TFS heads, blower, turbo? Each one basically has its own purpose.

The Hitechs are not miracle cams, they work for stock pi heads and manifolds to make better power where they are designed for. Most cams are designed to extend the powerband, as the Hitechs dont really extend the peak power farther into the rpm band as the stock pi camshafts.

Too much peak lift won't cause ptv contact as the highest lift is where the piston is down in the bore. My cams are about the same specs as trick flow cams and I don't have any PTV contact.

i have nitrous on it right now. I am spraying 150 to it and i think that's about all im going to spray to it for the time being. Im using the edelbrock victor jr intake but man im really really thinking about going with the trickflow but i dont know yet. I dont care to upgrade valve springs when i do the swap, but i am not going to notch out pistons just for the cams.

i have nitrous on it right now. I am spraying 150 to it and i think that's about all im going to spray to it for the time being. Im using the edelbrock victor jr intake but man im really really thinking about going with the trickflow but i dont know yet. I dont care to upgrade valve springs when i do the swap, but i am not going to notch out pistons just for the cams.

What is your impression of the Victor Jr. under N/A driving conditions? Any loss of power in the lower range? It looks like a great nitrous and/or high RPM intake.

There are people running Crower Stage 2 PI SC cams without notched pistons. The reason I mention that is that the TrickFlow Stage 2 cam is identical with slightly less lift. Crowers have .581 lift, TF have .580 lift.

That stated, it depends on your plans as to which cam to use. With nitrous, I am not sure I would use any cam you listed...