Defrost Blowing smoke in the engine!

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by custom89stang, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Someone please help me! I have an 89 5.0 LX and one day i had to replace the battery. So i made sure everything worked, and everything does (blinkers, head lights, etc) except the defrost.

    When i hit the defrost button white smoke starts coming from the wires near the battery, the wire is literally burning the outside of the rubber that protects it, so now i have exposed wire under my hood. Also, when i hit the defrost button, the battery power dips extremely low, to like the 2nd notch 10AMPS? My brother said there might be a VOLTAGE REGULATOR that regulates how much power goes through those wires, but my mechanic, when i asked him last time, said its something wrong with the wires, that there wasnt any regulator in my car? whats going on? someone please help!!!

    thanks for your time.
  2. I believe the wire you are refering to is a fusable link. It is made to burn in half if there is a problem with that circut. Is the wire connected to the starter solenoid ?
  3. i dunno, could be, i havent checked, so you think i blew out a fuse?
  4. it is near there though....i can tell u that
  5. It's called a fusable link . It acts like a fuse when the curent gets to high the wire burns. I.E They put a smaller size wire in the circut , if the circut overloads it burns in half.
  6. There might be 3-4 of them right by the solenoid.