Delete Or Re-route Water Hose

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I just picked up a 90 GT after a year or so of being Foxbody-less. Sweet!

Anyways, the black steel water hoses that exits near the TB going towards the firewall are looped. I believe the heater core is bad. Since I live is Florida, I'm debating on just removing all of it for now and just looping the lines at the water pump. I would leave it this way until I built up the nerve to replace the heater core...

Has anyone here completely removed all of these?

My only real concern is there is a sensor on the water line before it goes under the upper intake manifold. What sensor is this? I thought the temp sensor was the one on the front of the lower intake manifold...?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I've run without the heater core hoses on several of my fox cars. Just cap off the hoses coming out of the firewall and the two metal hoses. I never use the heat in S florida and these heater cores all eventually end up leaking.

I just picked up a 90 GYM after a year or so of being Foxbody-less. Sweet!

Anyways, the black steel water hoses that exits near the TB going towards the firewall are looped. I believe the heater core is bad. Since I live is Florida, I'm debating on just removing all of it for now and just looping the lines at the water pump. I would leave it this way until I built up the nerve to replace the heater core...

Has anyone here completely removed all of these?

My only real concern is there is a sensor on the water line before it goes under the upper intake manifold. What sensor is this? I thought the temp sensor was the one on the front of the lower intake manifold...?

The ECT sensor has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature gauge. They are different animals. The ECT sensor is normally located it the passenger side front of the engine in the water feed tubes for the heater.

Fix the problem:
Get 2 pieces of heater hose about 16--18" long and 5/8" and 3/4" in diameter from the auto parts store. Then get a plastic barbed male hose adapter to join the 2 hose pieces together from Home Depot or similar place. Next loop the 2 hoses together so that the water flows through the tubing and use some hose clamps to secure the splice joints. That way the ECT always has water flowing over it and sends the correct water temperature to the computer.