Dent repair (pic)

• Sponsors (?)

Looks nasty...

#1 - I'm not an expert in this area...

I would guess that the best way to fix this would be to cut out the damaged sheet metal and tack in a replacement...from a donor car or junk yard. I would consider a cut from just in front of the damage at the fender lip straight up to the rear hatch...hiding the seam under the hatch - around the rear behind tail lamp, then under the body molding back to the fender lip. <just a thought>

Of course, corners could be cut by trying to bang the sheet out from the interior and use a slide hammer to pull the rest. You're likely to need more bondo for this solution and it's going to take an experienced professional to get it right.

My preference is to use as little bondo/filler as possible...which is why I expressed a preference for replacing the sheet metal. In this scenario, I would only need to work the welded seam...and not spend alot of time trying to get the fuel door and it's frame straighteded out.

Both of these methods will require much more time to the body work...it won't be simple, but can be done.

As with anything... you're mileage may vary.

Good luck !
-D

I recomend straightening it with the gas tank, interior and exterior trim removed.Take your time and use body hammers and dolly's you may need whats called a dolly on a stick to move the area where the floor is connected to the quarter.It will take less time and you will not have to worry about leaks. And less bondo than trying to straighten it after cutting the back half of the quarter off. If you replace the quarter panel DO NOT just cut the damaged section out and welding just that section in you will end up shrinking the metal and have to build the correct gap for the hatch or the quarter glass and down the panel to the wheel lip with bondo. the correct way would be to replace the entire quarter panel. Either way you are cutting up the car and disturbing factory welds if you dont know what your doing the car will leak and may fall apart.

How about as far as getting a locking lug nut off a set of turbines where the owner doesn't have the key?

you can get the key from a ford dealership i believe. i assume you're talking about the factory locking lug nut?

If not you can go to an autoparts store and match it. That will require you buying 5 more lug nuts though.

Another trick involves a socket and a bit of welding, but thats worst case senario

That's a little more than a dent for sure.
Probably in the worst place too.
Take your pic to the body shop you would have do the work. I'd say it's unlikely someone without body work experience can fix that. Get an estimate, but i'd figure with paint $500 and up.

The wheel locks key missing is no big deal, i've always hammered sockets on.
Make the other lugs tighter and that will take some stress off it too.