desperate!!!! Water pump help needed

you might have to take the timing cover off I guess... that sucks. It isn't a "hard" or complicated job but it will be a PITA. A couple of my bolts were so darn rusted in place, I needed a zip gun to tear open the timing cover to free it.

I think 4 bolts go into the block (thru the timing cover) and the others are just bolted into the timing cover. The ones that screw into the timing cover are easy to fix, try to remove them by drilling or using tap screws (or whatever they're called).

The ones going to the block are going to be hard. If you don't have any experience with crappy situations like this, get someone who has been there before to do it. Things to watch out for are; not to destroy the threads in the block, getting pieces of metal in the oil pan, pieces of metal in the coolant (not as bad as the oil pan).

I installed a used timing cover I got for 20 bucks, the gasket kit comes with part of the oil pan gasket. I had to trim mine a little and used some RTV silicone. That was far more easier than trying to save the old cover.

Now if you manage to get to the bolt "studs" and attempt to get them out with some vice grips, don't apply full pressure all the time, use a sort of wave length pattern to sort of "jiggle" them free. Tap them with a hammer and use plenty of loosenut. I used a zip gun to "tap" the end of the stud to free the rust.

Good luck with this.

• Sponsors (?)

so..........I should just pay someone to do it LOL.

I guess my thinking at this point is a made a bad situation worst so why do even more damage.

I'm just so new to working on cars.......:bang:

krd005 said:
so..........I should just pay someone to do it LOL.

I guess my thinking at this point is a made a bad situation worst so why do even more damage.

I'm just so new to working on cars.......:bang:

nah the mechanic would have broke some bolts too, it's part of the game. It's hardly ever just "replacing parts" when working on old cars. I get owned by rust too :owned: no matter how hard I try to make it all work out. I've been playing with stuff like this since I was 8 years old.

OK.............I'm going to go shopping from jrichker's list and give it the ol college try.....I just don't want to make it any worse then it is!

On a scale 1-10 what am I looking at here!

What this shows me is that I think my ride is clean and I take care of it but in reality it isn't oh well just have to work on it I guess.

Use a easy, but steady hand to drill the old bolts and using the easy out. If you break an easy out, it it gets to be difficult.

The drill bushings fit down in the timing cover case holes to help center the drill bit in the hole. With the drill bit centered up using the drill bushing, you have lots less chance of getting off the broken bolt and into the important things like the block. If the drill bushing is loose in the hole, wind scotch tape around it until it is a snug fit.

krd005 said:
OK.............I'm going to go shopping from jrichker's list and give it the ol college try.....I just don't want to make it any worse then it is!

On a scale 1-10 what am I looking at here!

What this shows me is that I think my ride is clean and I take care of it but in reality it isn't oh well just have to work on it I guess.

Follow jrichker's advice, and just take your time and don't get frustrated. Like people have said above, don't apply full pressure when you are trying to get the broken peices out (no jumping on the breaker bar :D ). I like to slowly increase the amount of pressure I am putting on the part, or hold a constant amount of pressure on it for a few seconds. Use plenty of penetrant, and tap each bolt (or whats left of it) with a hammer a few times before you try to get it out. Just a few taps should be ok, you're not pounding nails into concrete.

Since you are new to working on cars, here's some good information to keep in mind: Almost NO project ever goes as smoothly as you think it should. I've had lots of 30 minute jobs turn into 1 or 2 day projects. Our cars are getting old now, and things like this are going to happen. But you will be able to fix this, it'll feel good when you do, and you'll know how to do it next time it happens!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Jeff

Having been there before with broken water pump bolts, you will find jrichker's write-up VERY helpful!

One more tip that I found very useful. Before drilling the broken bolt for the bolt extractor. Heat the area around the broken bolt with a propane torch (map gas is even better) for roughly ten minutes and then soak the broken bolt with PB Blaster. After that, follow jrichker's write-up, but instead of using a standard rotation 5/32" drill bit for the Easy-Out Extractor, use a Reverse Rotation 5/32" cobalt bit. By doing so, you might get lucky (like me :D ) and not need to use the Easy Out after all. As I was drilling with the reverse rotation bit, the broken bolt "broke loose" from the heat and PB Blaster which I applied before drilling. No need for the bolt extractor, as the bolt came out on the end of the drill bit.
Some times the Car Gods shine down upon us!
Good Luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!

89 Saleen#455 said:
Having been there before with broken water pump bolts, you will find jrichker's write-up VERY helpful!

One more tip that I found very useful. Before drilling the broken bolt for the bolt extractor. Heat the area around the broken bolt with a propane torch (map gas is even better) for roughly ten minutes and then soak the broken bolt with PB Blaster. After that step, follow jrichker's write-up, but instead of using a standard rotation 5/32" drill bit for the Easy-Out Extractor, use a Reverse Rotation 5/32" colbalt bit. By doing so, you might get lucky (like me :D ) and not need to use the Easy Out after all. As I was drilling with the reverse rotation bit, the broken bolt "broke loose" from the heat and PB Blaster which I applied before drilling. No need for the bolt extractor, as the bolt came out on the end of the drill bit.
Some times the Car Gods shine down upon us!
Good Luck and TAKE YOUR TIME!

Good call with the reverse drill bit, I had forgotton about those. With heat and penetrant, it is possible it will come out with the reverse bit alone. I have done that in the past, beats the hell out of an easy out when it works.

Also when you are using a reverse drill bit, make sure you have the drill on reverse!!!!! Don't laugh, I've seen it happen. :rolleyes:

Jeff