Detail Guys

So I recently had some really bad water spots on a lot of my car from some sprinklers. I ended up using some meguiars carnuba cleaner wax and it did a pretty good job of getting most of it off. My question though is a cleaner wax ok to leave as a wax on my paint to protect it or should I follow it up with another wax/polish to protect my paint. I dont know how abbrasive the cleaner wax is, im sure there is a little abbrasiveness to it to get some of that stuff off. I live in an apt so it is a pain in the ass to wax a car, and plus the only buffer I have is my left and right arm.

• Sponsors (?)

To get the best gloss you should use a finishing wax/sealer. I like the Meguiers yellow stuff or the NXG. As for the spots try a clay bar, follow the instructions to the letter! I will be claying my car this weekend. Its pretty easy and the paint is so slick when done you wouldnt believe it. Its like you are shaving the clear coat a little.
Wash the car thuroghly and dry it. Then in a well shaded area you spray the cleaning spray the bar comes with and do back anf forth motions in a 2'x2' area at a time. Make sure to kneed the clay often so you dont scratch the car with the chit the bar pulls off. Also break the bar into 1/6th size pieces cause you will end up dropping it at least once and when it hits the ground its done unless your floor is SPOTLESS cause the clay will grab anything.
If you look at the pics of the Cobras I have posted I achieved that gloss with clay and then Meguires cleaning wax/protectant and then a high shine wax like NXG or yellow..... 21 I think :scratch:

Hope it helps :cheers:

A "cleaner" is an abrasive, and a sealer is your final step. If you have some shade, apply a sealer wax down, and then down the road use a detailer if your isnt that dirty. Good choice on Meg's BTW

Thanks for the help guys, I have done a lot of detailing of cars and used rubbing compounds, polishes, waxes and all kinds of different stuff but never used a cleaner wax. I know it could definately use a wax then a polish, but its a little hard without a garage and a buffer. I was just wondering if the cleaner wax would strip other waxes off my car like a rubbing compund or if it would provide protection like a regular wax. Whats the diff between a carnuba cleaner wax and a regular?

Here's a few things to consider:

Yes, a cleaner wax will take off anything underneath it, but will still have a wax layer for protection.

You can't apply a sealant over the wax. You'd have to strip the wax off then seal, then wax.

Clay will not take out etching from water spots. Clay is only to remove the surface contaminants like fallout and such. Only a polish/cleaner will remove spots/deep scratches, etc.

If you normally don't seal the car with a polish, don't worry about it. Just use the cleaner wax as you normally would your regular wax. If you do normally seal, you have a few more steps involved but no big deal.