Detail shop or paint shop?

jordanvraptor

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2002
Oregon City, OR
As time winds down to me coming back home, I need to start thinking of some things in regards to my Cobra again. Its been outside all this time at a buddy's house all this time. It has been driven so not worried there but I'm sure it has its share of tree sap, pollen, etc ... I'm also thinking of taking off the decals off and just running it in the stock silver color with the blacked out hood.

So, the question is should I take it to a body shop or can a detail shop take care of the fading issues under the decals. Do you guys think it will need to be buffed out, clay bar'd, and which is better to have it done at? Detail shop or paint shop? Do you know of anyone or company that is good at refreshing the exterior of weathered cars?

Any help is appreciated.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I think if there are fading issues, it's in the base coat - not the clearcoat. Clay bar and buffing is only going to affect the clearcoat - not the base. So if the fading is in the base the only way to solve that is with a full re-paint.

What do you mean by decals anyway? You put stickers on an '03 Cobra!?

As for companies who do a nice job, not sure. I do all that stuff myself. Would that thing be on Angie's List? You could get a kit of Adam's Polishes for around $130 that will have everything from the wash and bucket, to clay bar, swirl remover, and wax. It's pretty fun too! If it's real bad you'll need to use a random orbital to get rid of the swirls.

-Mike

J, I bought a black 03 mustang that the dude let get some weather on, pollen - water spotting - clear coat scratches. My bro and I had to remove a purple pinstripe with the hair dryer then claybarred the piss out of it. Finished up with the Zaino kit and she looked good. Then my old man accidentally let a motor driven post hole digger fall on the front fender. Ahh. So I took it to this guy in the hills in washougal to have the front bumper fixed (license plate holder holes filled and painted), hood repainted, and fender fixed and repainted. After the spray he slapped the polisher on the rest of the car for two hundy. Looks like new, no joke. Like bottle drinker said try a good step wax system to start. I am partial to Zaino, but there are lots of them. About $100. If you aren't satisfied call this dude and see what he can do. If you have a polish done you are still going to need the wax to protect. You put a lot of trust in a person to polish because they can totally smoke or swirl the paint if they don't know exactly what they are doing. Mho, don't try yourself. Lots of love for taking care of business out there! This country would be nothing without you guys! Hopefully I get to meet ya and beers are always on me for service guys. Good luck pm if you want the dudes #.
Peace