Did I get taken?

QangMartoq

Feb 27, 2004
Lakeland, FL
My Stang has been having intermittent brake fluid loss for the last 3 months now. I'd add more, it'd be fine, and then, sporadic brake warning lights. Then, it started becoming more of an issue. Pedal had gotten closer and closer to the floor, though if I pumped it, it would restore pressure.

Midas quoted me $170 ($70 on a master cylinder, $100 on labor) to replace the master cylinder which they said was leaking. From friends at work I heard of a small shop inside a local Amoco station, and paid them a visit. While they agreed with Midas that the master cylinder needed replacement, they also said my power brake booster had fluid in it from the leak. (It was leaking where the master cylinder and brake booster mated up.) They explained that since the brake fluid would eventually eat through the internal rubber diaphram in the booster, and leave me without power brakes, it should be replaced as well, and at the same time as the master cylinder, to save on labor costs.

Not wanting to put it off and possibly not be able to stop one day soon, I handed them an ignition key and told them to have at it, after signing a written estimate.

The estimate was for the following amounts:

Master Cylinder - $53.76
Brake Booster - $141.68
Labor - $135 ($65 per hour, so 2.07 to 2.08 hours)
Sales Tax - $21.47

Total - $351.92

Good deal? Bad deal?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey man, do you live in North or South Lakeland? I am over here way on the north side. I rarely see people on here from FL let alone Lakeland. Seems like everyone here is from VA or Kentucky. :D

I am finishing up on my turbo swap right now (except T5 swap). You should come check it out. :spot:

I may be able to help you out with some of your car troubles. I know more about the 5.0's but I have owned two 2.3's now and they are pretty similar. I have lots of tools, stands, jacks, engine lift and other sorts of goodies that you can use here.