DID NITROUS RUIN MY ENGINE?

• Sponsors (?)

IJUSTWON said:
I have a 2001 BULLITT mustang and had a 75 shot of gas on it, sprayed it 1 time thru 2nd and 3rd gear, parked the car and let it run for about 15 minutes. Turned car off and went inside, came back out about 15-20 mins later, went to crank it up and there was a LOUD pop, now my car wont turn over or nothing, and somehow the bolt to my crankshaft has been rounded off. Can anyone help me figure out what i did to it??

Perhaps you've got a leaking solenoid that allowed nitrous to fill the manifold. WHat type of system is it? Do you have a remote bottle opener? Is it stuck on? If not, did you manually shut the bottle valve off before leaving the car?

A "nitrous backfire" in the manifold can irreparably damage the intake (i.e. blow a large section of it clear out). Unless it was absolutely massive, it's hard to envision it damaging the engine mechanicals.

As for the rounded crank bolt, I rather suspect that to be the result of hamfisted efforts in the past and is not related to this problem. Is the car a manual? Can the engine be turned by "bumping" it?

IJUSTWON said:
I have a 2001 BULLITT mustang and had a 75 shot of gas on it, sprayed it 1 time thru 2nd and 3rd gear, parked the car and let it run for about 15 minutes. Turned car off and went inside, came back out about 15-20 mins later, went to crank it up and there was a LOUD pop, now my car wont turn over or nothing, and somehow the bolt to my crankshaft has been rounded off. Can anyone help me figure out what i did to it??

The starter wont engage or the car wont turn over at all? I.E. the starter is meeting resistance? What bolt to the crankshaft are you talking about?

First pull each spark plug and check them. Then get back to us.

When the engine is off the intake and or cylinders can fill with N20 when you turn it over the gas explodes and can do serious damage to your car. Old cars would often blow out the carb or blow it through the hood. New cars can blow a throttle body off if your lucky, or trash an engine if you are unlucky.

Pictures of a dakota that just had the intake full of N20. You will notice the plastic intake blew apart. This is also common for a GT stang since the intakes are plastic. Since you have a bullitt it shouldnt be an intake problem. I hate to say it but you most likely lost the engine. :(

badnos-2.jpg

badnos-7.jpg

badnos-1.jpg

badnos-3.jpg

It was a wet shot, and to MOGSGT **** YOU, I have a forged Bottom end that is to replace my whole bottom end and stroke the motor. I hope it isn't the intake manifold cuz the BULLITT intakes are about 1,000 bucks, My heads and cams should be ok tho right? I dont think a 75 shot could have blown a whole in a BULLITT intake tho??

IJUSTWON said:
It was a wet shot, and to MOGSGT **** YOU, I have a forged Bottom end that is to replace my whole bottom end and stroke the motor. I hope it isn't the intake manifold cuz the BULLITT intakes are about 1,000 bucks, My heads and cams should be ok tho right? I dont think a 75 shot could have blown a whole in a BULLITT intake tho??

I do feel bad for you and I know how this sucks if you could answer this it may help more

The starter wont engage or the car wont turn over at all? I.E. the starter is meeting resistance?
What bolt to the crankshaft are you talking about?

The shot size on problems like this really dont matter if its a malfunction or other problem or residual gas. If the N2O has a way into the intake/cylinders it will go the the lowest point possible and settle there. N20 vapors are heavier than air. If they all settles in a particular area then you are looking at much more N2O being ignited than with a 75 shot.

I would say if the starter is not able to turn over the engine than it is a lower end problem and your intake should be fine. Heads and cam can be a toss up but chances are they are fine.

The bolt on the crank im talking about is the one on the outside, the visible one in the center of the crank pulley, its gone i dunno how, but its not there, when i go to crank the car all it does is "click" makes no other noise, i took out the spark plugs they were bad, but not that bad im going to replace them but for the time being the car will not even crank and i dont wanna take it to have it looked at and pay then to tear it down unless i have to, i figure this has had to ahppen to someone on here before and someone is bound to give me a lil help as to what it is i did...... Im replacing the whole bottom end regardless jus in case i fried the pistons broke a rod or the crankshaft etc..... I jus need to know what exactly this may have cause cuz the car couldnt have been shut off no more than a few mins before i tried cranking it up again and went "POW"

I think you are getting a lot of bad information here. Nitrous is not explosive. It decomposes into nitrogen and oxygen. The nitrogen cools the intake air temperature. The oxygen allows you to burn more fuel. The combination of burning more fuel and cooler intake temps produces more horsepower. With a wet kit, you spray fuel as well as nitrous. Sometimes, the extra fuel tends to puddle in the intake. Then, something ignites the fuel causing the intake to explode. I suspect that is what happened to you. Depending how large the fuel puddle and the resulting explosion, you may or may not have done a lot of damage to your intake. The other possibility is you ran lean during the run and damaged a piston or valve. If you do not have enough fuel to support the shot size, you can run lean in one or more cylinders creating excess heat and damage. That would be totally unrelated to the explosion. I suspect you damaged your intake.

oh damn I thought nitrous was safe, I'm having second thoughts about getting it now. You might want to try posting this question in the "power adder" forum. If you crank bolt is missing it sounds like you did a lot of damage, nothing in the engine bay looks unusual? From what I hear the bullit intake manifolds can be blown apart from a nitrous backfire even though they are metal. Do you have any speed shops where you live? I would ask them.

I think most know that N2O itself isnt explosive it does add to the combustion. The car upon sitting may have filled with n2o and upon starting the normal gas that is shot into the cylinder and ignited aided by pool of n2o ignited for a greater explosion due to the extra oygen content. Oyegen is the power adding component as o2 is needed for combustion the more you have the greater the explosion.

Your intake, if it is trashed and doubtful since you have a bullitt, is not the reason your engine wont crank over. A car with a cracked intake will still crank.

jimfitzgerald said:
I think you are getting a lot of bad information here. Nitrous is not explosive.

While true, if there is fuel vapor present in the manifold (and on a port injected car that fires onto the backs of closed intake valves there is very likely remnants of fuel vapour there) as well as nitrous, the addition of the oxidizing effect of N2O leads to more spectacular "manifold detonations" than your run of the mill air-only oxidized backfires.

As you go on to note...

IJUSTWON, get the car to a shop. I think you need hands-on help with this, not just internet suggestions.

Check your battery for cracks, this happened to me once. The "maintenence free" batteries can lose fluid. When they do, hydrogen gas can build up inside and ignite when a high current surge (starting) causes an arc inside the battery (it makes a very loud pop). If you have a voltmeter, go out and check your battery voltage.

IJUSTWON said:
hope it isn't the intake manifold cuz the BULLITT intakes are about 1,000 bucks, My heads and cams should be ok tho right? I dont think a 75 shot could have blown a whole in a BULLITT intake tho??
I would be hopeing to god its the intake, the other option...the Bullit engine is A LOT more expencive.
As for the whole intake blowing apart thing, i would imagine that a plastic GT would blow off and that all that would damage. If the intake man. holds, that explosion has to go somewhere, i cant imagine that being good. I agree with the theory that you hurt somehing durring the run with a lean condition.
Back to the engine not starting, you never cleared up if the engine is seized or its just not turning over for some other reason. try cranking it over by had.
I also dont think it can be the intake cuz i would think the explosion would be described as something more than a "POP", Best of luck man, i hope its something stupid and easy to fix like that batery arc thing.