diff between the 98 4.6 and 5.0's and so on...

frozen

Dec 25, 2003
Ok from wha I have been hearing, 98 is the best model to buyfor a mustang .... But i have yet to get the reason... Cause i mean i love the car and all but when you put in exhaust it looks like it doesn't belong it just hangs there, but the model I really like is the fox body GT , I was just wondering why the 98 is so godlike and not the fox bodys or the 99+'s . Thanks for the replys ahead of time.

• Sponsors (?)

since you say you heard that 98 is the best year, you might find more favorable responses in the modular TALK forum. everyone in here will preach the 5.0's (i for one), and since you are lookin for kudos on the modulars, might do well in there.

i didnt know the 98's were so highly thought of, BTW. i will need to look more closely when my buddy comes over tomorrow in his 98.
on second thought, it's not a fox, so no i wont.

96-98 were all the same except in 98 it had 225 horsepower instead of 215 because of a change in the exhaust.

A 99+ is quite a bit quicker than a 96-98 but its only a headswap away from beating the 99+...I'm not really for sure why a 98 is so "godlike" to you...but they do look good :shrug:

David

5spd GT said:
96-98 were all the same except in 98 it had 225 horsepower instead of 215 because of a change in the exhaust.

The 1998 has 225 instead of 215 because of the ECU programming, not the exhaust.

The 98 isn't the best mustang out there. It's a nice looking car, but it is expensive to modify. When I first got mine I didn't like it much, it was a sled (some would argue that it still is), but I'm pretty happy with it's performance now. I am by no means done, but it is a lot better than it was when I first got it. Besides, sometimes it's nice to be the underestimated "pig". :nice:

I've driven 5.0's as well (87, 93) and loved them both. I still love the Fox body (even though my friend and I are always talking $*it about each other...he has a 91). Basically, either one is a good car, but with the 98, you're going to be slapped with the pre 99 Modular Motor stigma.

Just my .02.

98LazerGT said:
The 1998 has 225 instead of 215 because of the ECU programming, not the exhaust.

The 98 isn't the best mustang out there. It's a nice looking car, but it is expensive to modify. When I first got mine I didn't like it much, it was a sled (some would argue that it still is), but I'm pretty happy with it's performance now. I am by no means done, but it is a lot better than it was when I first got it. Besides, sometimes it's nice to be the underestimated "pig". :nice:

I've driven 5.0's as well (87, 93) and loved them both. I still love the Fox body (even though my friend and I are always talking $*it about each other...he has a 91). Basically, either one is a good car, but with the 98, you're going to be slapped with the pre 99 Modular Motor stigma.

Just my .02.

The higher output was made by the revisions to the exhaust side of the 4.6's single overhead cam head....I guess I wasn't clear enough...