Diff Cover... To Rtv Or Not Rtv... That Is The Question

• Sponsors (?)

If you can get a tube of import gray....or permatex ultra black rtv...you'll never have to look back. The black comes in an aerosol type can....super easy to apply and sticks well. Make sure surfaces are clean and dry = no problems [emoji106]

Reactions: 1 user
I've done it both ways with out problems, RTV without gasket or gasket with thin coat of RTV. You need very clean surfaces. Also, I wait until the RTV just begins to set up and get tacky before I put it together. Then, I wait over night before filling with oil. If you're working in a cold environment, more curing time is needed for the sealer to set up.

Advance carries Permatex's RTV formulated for use on differentials. The best stuff I've ever used is the Mopar differential RTV, used to get it free when I worked at the Dodge dealership.

I have been changing the dif lub every 100k miles in my super duty and never used a gasget, THE most important thing is to clean the sufaces and give it time to cure, gasget or not, hang'n around a repair shop I've noticed certain engines pieces don't use gasgets anymore.