difference between 289 and 289 hipo

• Sponsors (?)

pull the valve covers. if there are screw in rocker studs, the heads could be either hipo heads, or just modified. look at the dampner, it will be about 1/2" thicker than ac or a code 289. if you can pull the oil pan the main caps will be full thickness top to bottom rather than tappering at the top, sorry no 4 bolt main caps on the hipo 289. if the pan is pulled, also look for an add on counterweight right behind the crank gear. if the disst is stock, it will have dual points and no vacuum advance.

RBOHM is correct on all points, one he missed is the slotted (instead of round) holes for the pushrods.

Boss 302 had the 4-bolt mains, the only SBF to ever have them IIRC.

JT$$$ said:
what the difference and how do you tell?

A couple more differences are the HIPO has larger connecting rod bolts, solid lifters, cupped spring perches for the valve springs and screw in oil galley plugs in the rear of the block. The exhaust manifolds are also unique to the HIPO 289.

External differences include:

a. Alternator pulley is larger diameter (high rpm model)
b. Heads have 19, 20, or 21 embossed on leading edge of casting
c. Harmonic is thicker
d. Waterpump is aluminum open impeller type
e. Exhaust manifolds are larger and swept back.
f. Clutch z-bar looks different with curved upper lever.
g. In '65/'66 engine has larger frame bracket forgings.

im pretty sure i have the hipo head and mine are slotted, they are imbossed with a 65 and if im not mistaken either 20 or 21 id have to get the car back first or ask the guy that sold them to me.