Differences between 94/5 valve covers vs. Fox body

• Sponsors (?)

i had to use the fox VC for my stang when i built the 306. i put 1.7's on there and i couldnt get my old covers on. so i just got a set of used VC's and sand blasted them and cut out the the "lips" out of the inside arounde the bolt holes. taked a couple of hours to do but i love em!

Michael Yount said:
We're just trying to determine if the covers he has on the car (stamped steel - from a 94/5 Stang) will clear 1.7's. They sound just like the stock Cobra stamped steel units as SaltWaterFish says (Cuda fan?).

I had that same set up and yes they do fit. I am running the scorpion 1.7's and it took some massaging, but they do fit. I have since switched to the fox style and had to grind on the ds front of the car for it to clear. I didn't have any issues with the ps. I am in the process of switching again to the new Morosso fabricated alum. ones that chris95svt has on his car. They are really sweet. You can do a search under his name and see pics of them on his car.

Are there any issues with regard to wider than stock intakes like the Trick Flow variety interfering with the back of the a/c compressor? I guess the accessories sit closer to the engine on the SN94/5 than they do in the Foxes. My buddy is in England, and we're trying to nail down all these dimensional issues so when he orders parts, he's 100% certain they'll fit.

Michael

The fox vc are thicker and the 94-95 bolts will be too short.

I also had a clearence issue between the alt electrical bolt and the front of the vc on my car. After looking at the prob I knew I would not be happy with removing material from the bolt as that would make it too short. I found three of the thinnest washers of the same thickness and used them to shim the alt out a tiny bit. Its been over two years ago and I've had no belt probs.

The hose barb on the oil fill neck is gonna be like 1/16 of an inch from the iac which means you can't get a hose on it so you will have to get a bit creative with that. I've seen some say they used a prybar to bend the neck over ...... I've also seen some say they broke the vc trying that method of clearence, lol. I just cut the neck in half and used a small ricer radiator hose with several bends to reposition the filler neck to my needs.

Like the poster above I use Scorpion rr's and those suckers are big. I removed the oil splash guard and a bit of material from a few of the bolt bosses for the needed clearence. It was no biggy really. A few minutes and a die grinder was the fix.

I've already told you more than I know.

Later
Grady

They fit fine, No big deal with the alt. you don't have to grind anything down just losen the bolts move it out of the way put the vc on and put the alt back. Only fitment prob i had with my TFS intake was the egr thing on the elbow. Some say to grind it down but then your up into the bolt hole so if you run an egr i don't suggest that. I got a 1 inch heat spacer and that cleared then my egr tube wasn't long enough so i got an adapter from 50resto that makes it longer. I have heard people using the 3/8 spacer and being ok I figured go big then i'd be sure it cleared and have the little added performance that it gives. Otehr problem i had was with them and my CAI the breather top i had on my old vc's wouldn't fit so i had to go back to the stock cap.

Anyone know of a breather cap that fits?

Let me clarify guys - first thanks for all the help. Second - I'm not trying to put fox covers on a 94/5 -- I'm trying to ascertain if the stock 94/5 covers are 1) the same as the 93 Cobra stamped steel covers (in the pics I've seen look the same, they appear to be just like my 93 Cobra covers), and 2) if they'll fit over 1.7 Cobra-style pedestal roller rockers with no interference. Is there any difference in the location or height of the oil filler neck due to the 45 degree angle on the throttle body?

Michael Yount said:
Let me clarify guys - first thanks for all the help. Second - I'm not trying to put fox covers on a 94/5 -- I'm trying to ascertain if the stock 94/5 covers are 1) the same as the 93 Cobra stamped steel covers (in the pics I've seen look the same, they appear to be just like my 93 Cobra covers), and 2) if they'll fit over 1.7 Cobra-style pedestal roller rockers with no interference. Is there any difference in the location or height of the oil filler neck due to the 45 degree angle on the throttle body?
1)If the 93 Cobra covers are black, more shallow than a Fox cover, and have the "lips" of the covers rolled slightly, then yes, they are the same. I have never seen a 93 cover, so I'm not certain. 2) I have never found a 1.7 pedestal mount rocker that fits without having to "clearance" the cover. I am not a fan of this as it can knock the bolt holes slightly out of proper location if the sides need to be beat out. Just as a reference, I put 1.7 Crane rockers on a friends 94GT with stock heads and the stock valve covers did not fit.

Joe

Thanks Joe - it sounds like the 93 Cobra stamped steel covers, and the SN94/5 covers are NOT the same. I bought a set of the 93 Cobra covers via ebay to clear my 1.7 roller rockers - FRPP same as come on the Cobra. They clear because they were designed to clear the same rollers in the OEM application on the Cobra. But if the 94/5 covers won't clear, they must be different. By the way, the Cobra covers are not more shallow than fox covers - they're slightly taller - and have a big 'hump' in the oil filler neck area to so the baffle completely clears the #1 rockers.

Max - if you're reading along, it sounds like you'd have to change the covers to clear roller rockers.

OK guys - what valve covers will clear the rollers, and fit under intakes without spacers? Or are we gonna get an answer we don't like? :)

Michael Yount said:
OK guys - what valve covers will clear the rollers, and fit under intakes without spacers? Or are we gonna get an answer we don't like? :)

I am running Cobra 1.7 rr's with the stock 94/95 valve covers. The only clearance issue was with the Trickflow 94/95 elbow. The passenger side valve cover had to be ground slightly. So they are most likely the same as the cobra valve covers. I have been running them for almost a year (with no spacer).