different octane, different MPG?

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
i was trying to think i have about a halftank of 93 in my car now and it seems to be lasting a little better than usual. ive been running 89 this whole time. does it last longer? the higher it is the longer it lasts?

• Sponsors (?)

Higher octane gasoline usually includes a more expensive additive package. That additive package may include fuel system cleaners and mileage improvements.

In theory, the lower the octane you can safely run on your car, the more efficient the fuel will burn therefor more power and better milage.

Of course every car is different, but that's the theory around octane levels.

I hate explaining that when people see me filling my car up with 87 and say "You put the cheap stuff??? You should toss in 93 and make more power!!"

Higher octane gasoline usually includes a more expensive additive package. That additive package may include fuel system cleaners and mileage improvements.

Which was a large reason for my switch many years ago from cheapo gas to "name brand" gas. I noted an immediate uptick of almost 2 mpg.

The Notch gets 91 octane. I can't run 89 octane with my timing advanced to 14* without getting pinging (sadly).

The TurdBird gets plain ol' 87 octane.

Both cars get their meals almost exclusively at QuikTrip ... and so do I, now that they've started carrying those Über-yummy taquitos and "stuffed breadsticks." It's cheaper eatin' than Taco Bell, and just as bad for you! :nice:

The Notch gets 91 octane. I can't run 89 octane with my timing advanced to 14* without getting pinging (sadly).

The TurdBird gets plain ol' 87 octane.

Both cars get their meals almost exclusively at QuikTrip ... and so do I, now that they've started carrying those Über-yummy taquitos and "stuffed breadsticks." It's cheaper eatin' than Taco Bell, and just as bad for you! :nice:

They've carried those taquitos for a long time now. Those things are addicting. :drool:

One of my friends told me that you get better mileage with premium, but I don't know if I buy it. Also, the increased MPG if true is off-set by the higher gas price, so in the end I think it isn't any cheaper.

I think based on the low compression of the stock 5.0, I've been told there is no benefit of higher octane fuel for those cars.

higher octane fuel is desinged to burn longer under compression. under higher compression the longer burn will keep the engine from detonating. running higher octane in an engine that is not timed or designed to run it will over time leave deposits from unburned fuel. figure premium runs .20 more than regualr octane. in a 15 gallon tank that is around 3.00, go buy a bottle of fuel additive. your car will run just as smooth if not better.