Different Oil for Different Seasons...?

atey950

Founding Member
Aug 5, 1999
Southeastern PA
Do any of you guys use change to a different type of oil when the climate changes from hot to cold or vice versa?
I am jst curious since I have heard a lot of people talk about it.Temperatures here where I live can range from 10 in the winter degrees to 100 degrees in the summer...What do you all think?
Also, for any of you guys running a blower, do you use a thicker oil? I would assume so since the engine tends to run a little hotter...let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

yes i run different oils in the winter than in the summer but not in my mustang seeign that i only drive it in the summer. in my daily driver i run 5W-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. just stepping down to 5w in the winter doesnt let the lifters tick at cold start-up.

with my blower i run 10w-30 in the summer. sometimes 10w-40. i dont run the thicker oil because my engine gets hotter (because it doesnt).

take care,
adam

all the cars and bikes get different oil viscosity for summer and winter. for me, 20W-50 in summer and 10-40 for 3 months of cooler weather (ahh, in tucson). 110* in summer, normally low of ~50-60 in winter. we did hit 19 this winter. wahoo.

for the other cars, some get the same treatment (older stuff with some tolerances in the motor). newer stuff gets full synthetic 10W-30. i really like the idea of a syn in the winter (maybe more so than in summer). the cold start up will kill ya. oils these days hold their viscosity better in heat, but no replacement for the clinging ability of the syns after sitting all night. id run a 5W-30 syn in your climate. just me. glad i dont have to worry about that anymore. :)

I run 20W 50 in the summer the car goes in the garage for the winter. I had 10W 40 and I starting leaking oil. I switched to 20W 50 and it dosent leak as bad anymore. I burn oil slightly also.