Dilemma...Centerforce DF vs. II

Rock777

Aug 22, 2004
Troy, IL
I am in the process of putting my rebuilt T5z in and am putting a new clutch in at the same time. I already purchased the Dual Friction, but after talking to a couple people I am having second thoughts. I am anxious to get my car on the road again, but not if this clutch is going to break my tranny. I can get a Centerforce Stage II from Summit for less than I paid for the Centerforce Dual Friction, but have to wait another several days to get here. If I knew I wouldn't have to pay extra to switch, I would probably do it. Do you all think I could get $265 for a new, in the box Dual Friction. Does anyone have any experience with a T5z and a dual friction or have any insight? Please help, I'm driving myself crazy.

• Sponsors (?)

AXIStang - Thanks, but I have heard many things about Spec that make me skeptical.

tunedin302 - I know what you are saying about hard shifts and I will be going to the track several times and launching on Drag Radials as well. I had a King Cobra before but want something different. I have heard the pedal level on the centerforce is very light, and that they grab excellent as well.

Basically, I am set on Centerforce based on what I've read/heard. I need to decide between the Dual Friction that I already have sitting in my garage or selling it and getting a Centerforce Stage II. :shrug:

i still have a dual friction new in the box also.
only reason im not going to use it. is i decided to go with a tremec (different spline clutch).
if anybody wants to buy the dual friction for the t-5 let me know. thanks

You're worrying about allot more than you need to be. Yes... the DF Centerfoce has more than enough holding power to twist your T5 into a bag of rattling parts. However (comma) it also allows a lot more control over how hard you abuse the tranny vs. almost any other clutch out there with the same holding power. Clutches like the Spec III dont have a lot of "give". They're either engaged or not engaged and there's not a whole lot of room in between. The DF Centerforce will be as gentle to your tranny as you choose. If you drop it hard, it will grab hard and vise versa.

Daggar said:
You're worrying about allot more than you need to be. Yes... the DF Centerfoce has more than enough holding power to twist your T5 into a bag of rattling parts. However (comma) it also allows a lot more control over how hard you abuse the tranny vs. almost any other clutch out there with the same holding power. Clutches like the Spec III dont have a lot of "give". They're either engaged or not engaged and there's not a whole lot of room in between. The DF Centerforce will be as gentle to your tranny as you choose. If you drop it hard, it will grab hard and vise versa.

This is kinda what I'm afraid of, I don't plan on droppin it at 5k on slicks but I will be making trips to the drag strip with drag radials slipping it out at around 4000. Do you think I should just put it on there and shut up :rolleyes: or get the Stage II. I would really like to hear experience from people who have used the Dual Friction on T5's or T5z's.

I think you should put it on there and shut up. hehe

I'm onto my second DF clutch. I used my first to twist my original equipment, 100,000 mile T5 into a prezel. Power shifts, 3000 RPM drops... I was filthy with Power!!! *evil laughing ensues*

When the new tranny arrived I did things a bit different. Granted, this tranny is a bit more stout than a T5Z but I'm also running a Kenne Bell Blowzilla now.

So long as you take the time to adapt to the clutch and don't go out of your way to destroy your tranny (like I did), then you will be fine.

Daggar said:
I think you should put it on there and shut up. hehe

I'm onto my second DF clutch. I used my first to twist my original equipment, 100,000 mile T5 into a prezel. Power shifts, 3000 RPM drops... I was filthy with Power!!! *evil laughing ensues*

When the new tranny arrived I did things a bit different. Granted, this tranny is a bit more stout than a T5Z but I'm also running a Kenne Bell Blowzilla now.

So long as you take the time to adapt to the clutch and don't go out of your way to destroy your tranny (like I did), then you will be fine.

The only thing that scares me is what if my foot would slip off the clutch while launching or something. I will probabably just go ahead and put it on there, but didn't know if the stage II would be a more cautious, safe, yet effective way to go. Thanks for your input.

I have had 4 different clutches in MY car...but I'll compare the King Cobra vs. the CF Stage II (current clutch).

My cousin had a CF DF clutch in his mild bolt-on 90 Gt and his tranny was gone in 3 months...he did seem to drive it harder on the shifts...but he did fine before that clutch. It personally wouldn't deter me from buying it.

But anyways back to the King Cobra vs. Stage II. The Stage II is a bit less "slippy" when driving in stop and go traffic/just a tick of clutch chatter/softer pedal than a King Cobra and holds more power. I can actually chirp 3rd gear with the Stage II on drag radials...were as the King Cobra I could not. The King Cobra was a bit harder pedal but had a nice feel and didn't have any clutch chatter.

I'm very happy with my Stage II...very happy.

Centerforce is a good clutch:nice:

Well, I'm getting ready to put the clutch on the car. I guess I am going to go ahead and put on the dual friction. If my tranny is shot in a month I'll be right back here asking for a collection from those who recommended it :D , totally kidding. I never power shift and the car will never be "dropped" from 5000 r's, so hopefully everything will be fine. Thanks for the help all!

My experiences with center force has been grim at best. The two early center forces clutches i worked with disintegrated after about a week and my friends DF that he has in there now slips like a mother under high load. Their customer service was the worst thing since the plague. Long story short the king cobra clutch I have now has been is unbreakable and dead reliable even if it is a little hard on the leg ;). Holds up awesome on drag slicks and low eleven passes with my t5 all day every day, and i drive it to work every day. Excelent product :nice: .

maverick0716 said:
If you don't want your tranny to blow into a million pieces can't you just launch from a lower rpm?

I suppose I could, I could also shift at 4000 to take it easy on my engine. :rolleyes: Sorry for the sarcasm. However, in the quest for the best E.T. with my current motor I will have to at least launch from 3500, even if I slip it out. Anything less than that and I am just not even near peak torque and will definitely bog. I don't plan on slicks or powershifting, but drag radials and slipping the clutch fast at 4000 rpm's when launching is inevitable. :cheers: