Dipstick On Performance Pkg V8

m6pwr

Dec 22, 2014
I was admiring the engine on a 2015 GT with Performance Package today after a test drive and noticed the oil dipstick is directly beneath the cross brace with very little room to maneuver the dipstick. Getting the dipstick out didn't look to be too much of a problem, but getting it back in without possibly getting it dirty looked a bit difficult. Is it possible to measure the oil level electronically, or, if not, do you get a warning message on the dash when the oil is a quart low?

• Sponsors (?)

Removing and re installing the dip stick is not difficult on this car at all.. Would you really want to rely on a light to tell you that the oil is too low in the car?

I didn't actually try to remove/insert the dipstick, but on the perf pkg V8 it is right underneath the cross brace with very little room to maneuver. Anyway, I'll deal with it. Just thought I'd ask.

I'm most familiar with BMWs and for the last six or seven years they have been dipstick-less. The oil level sensor/gauge is like most others on modern cars (e.g. oil pressure). It works and is reliable. It is, however, slow to react when toping-off or adding oil. If you're not aware of that behavior, that has resulted in some folks overfilling when they top-off. Otherwise, the electronic sensor works fine.

FWIW: To be clear, when you check the oil level electronically, an image of a dipstick appears showing the current oil level, just as if you're reading it off a dipstick. For folks that don't bother with that, when the oil is a quart low (7 qt sump), a gong sounds and a message alert appears in the instrument cluster telling the operator to add a quart, stupid. This is for idiots (like me) who drive BMWs.

I had no trouble getting the dipstick out from under the brace. The fact that the engine has a real dipstick instead of a sensor is for me a selling point. I hate that BMW went to a sensor here and was actually a factor in my buying the GT instead of another BMW.