Distributor Issues

Hello everyone Hope all is well. I've been having issues with my 83 5.0. Quick explanation of the problems I've been having. On cold motor unless I give it about half throttle taking off it will pop through the carburetor and attempt to kill the motor. Once it's warmed up it drives fine at normal driving aside from it bucks some through the gears. If I get on it it breaks up pretty bad... About a month and a half ago I took the edelbrock 600cfm completely apart and replaced all gaskets and cleaned it thourally along with 2 new filters and the regulator I needed. HUGE improvement. A couple weeks ago I put the timing light on it and way off so I adjusted the best I could (pushing the distributor against the thermostat housing and won't go any further) I finally get the time to play with it. Cyl 1 at to dead center and looked at the rotor button. It's way past the number one on the cap. From the wear on the rotor it's showing its firing after tdc. As of right now I have the distributor out and plan to do it in one slot over. The question I'm having (im sorry about these technical terms, im not familiar with them) if I spin the rotor button the spline looking part of the magnet is touching and sticking on the other part of the magnet. Im not seeing how that's connected but if I hold the other part away it spins pretty freely for the most part. With my lack of knowledge is that how it's supposed to be, or is there a way to fix that or is the distributor no good anymore. If I had more money I'd just upgrade it to a msd but if it's bad im stuck putting it back together to attempt to improve or get it back to where it was for now until I get money. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)