Distributor problem

shewitt

Aug 18, 2003
Newnan GA
I had taken out the distributor awhile back and marked everything but after a bit I changed the crank position. And when I put the distributor back in I thought I had it right but when I tried to check my timing and never saw the marks on the damper. So I set the crank at TDC and the rotor was pointing at the #3 not the 1 plug. So I pulled out the distributor and set the rotor at #1 but now I can’t get the car to start. I have heard that you could be at TDC for the intake stroke and it’s different for the exhaust stroke. Could this mean that I have to turn the rotor all the way around?

• Sponsors (?)

The thing is that i spent about 2 hours trying to line up the damper to tdc cuz of the supercharger install and the bigger radiator. No room to get a socket in there and im by myself trying to do this sucks to try to put my finger in #1 and fish my arm down to try to turn the crank. But does the TDC come by 2 times per stroke cuz it would be easy to pull the distributor and turn the rotor to the other side.

yeah, you can get a little air out the plug hole on the exhaust stroke too. do you have a helper (turning the crank from below can be easier).

good luck.

Bump the engine over using a remote start switch connected to your starter solenoid. When you feel the blast of air on no.1 make sure you know what direction your dampner is turning. Then finish the stroke by putting a socket on the dampner and turning in the same direction untill timing marks are right on. Now, you rotor should be at No. 1.

mjbtv said:
Bump the engine over using a remote start switch connected to your starter solenoid. When you feel the blast of air on no.1 make sure you know what direction your dampner is turning. Then finish the stroke by putting a socket on the dampner and turning in the same direction untill timing marks are right on. Now, you rotor should be at No. 1.

That's exactly how I've always done it, and it seems to work ever time.
And now get ready for all of those who will say------- but/or?

ALMOST STOCK said:
That's exactly how I've always done it, and it seems to work ever time.
And now get ready for all of those who will say------- but/or?

It works for me...
That makes two of us, so it must be right.... :spot: