Distributor replacement, OTS stuff work ok?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i just resolved my horrible driveability issues, (atleast the loss of power thus far) by putting my msd distributor back in.

the msd distributor was pulled because after one year the shaft bearing has worn out. it has some slight wobble when the fingers spin and 3 of them are touching the pickup. the bearing needs replaced, or i just replace the distributor.

i have a total of 3 distributors here, the other 2 are stock. they both give me the same issues with the driveability. i don't want to pay for another msd distributor, what is a cost effect replacement that will insure i don't get issues?

is the remanufactured stuff from oreillys ok? im always concerned with cheap replacement electrical in them. is there anything that is worth it over the rest to purchase with the cost effective part in mind? this goes for distributor, TFI module, and probably a new coil while i'm at it.

car is supercharged. currently have the msd distributor, cheap $40 oreillys tfi module, and i believe an msd blaster coil (it's been painted black).

• Sponsors (?)

searches keep giving me aftermarket parts. Where would I find original ford parts that arent used?

New you are probably going to have to call ford, and if they have it, you probably won't like the price.

Used you can use the regular routes, ebay, junkyards, craigs.

I don't know anyone that drives a street car that hasn't had their aftermarket distributor fail, and that goes double for the msd.
So i'd take a used junk yard one over a new aftermarket.

well i still want/need a different distributor. however, i'm more confused then ever. when we put my msd back in, the car ran 100% fine instantly.

i put my ecu back behind the kick panel today and it fell apart again. i used 1/8 tank of gas in 4 miles holding it to the floor so it would just move the times it allowed the engine to fire apparently..

i jumped on my phone and took video, ill upload it later if i cant figure out why there is issues near the ecu wiring. :mad: