DIY: Home Made Car Ramps?

V8302stangs

Founding Member
Dec 16, 2001
San Jose, CA
Hey guys, I remember seeing a good little DIY on how to build your own car ramps, and was wondering who out there has either built your own or knew of any good internet sources of 411. I could speculate on how to build but it is good to know any tips someone might have. I work at an Ace hardware and have access to a lot of hardware for employee discount.

• Sponsors (?)

Just depends on what you want to make it out of, how much you want to spend and how much time you want to spend building them. Given that you can buy them for $30, it seems much easier to do that.

I could actually design some ramps out of wood or steel but it wouldn't be worth the hassle for you. Then again, with DIY ramps, you can make them any size you want :D

Thats about the safest ramp you'll get away with there. I would have used 2x12's and chamfered the corners off each step.

Another idea would be to creat a box and extend the top of the ramp long enough to drive the whole car onto. then pull the ramp away and you have the whole car lifted 10" or so.

I have cold formed steel ramps right now and they're fine. What I like about those though is that they came with locking plastic transition ramps so they don't slide away as you try to get onto them.

Honestly man, I suggest you just go and buy a set.. You can get a set for under 50 bucks and atleast they're safe [I have no intent of putting down your craftsmenship with that.] I mean, is your life really only worth 50 bucks?

I built my own very easy think I got the idea from mustangworld or corral tech articles.

Work great for changing oil or any other little things like that. There only about 3/4 of a foot tall but you have plenty of room to change your oil.