dizzy rotor play...normal?

CDQICKGT

Jan 25, 2006
fort hood, tx
Well i was battling the idle demons again and i was running down the check list when i put my hand on the dizzy cap and could hear and feel the rotor scrubbing the points on the inside if the cap.:( So i turned off the car and popped the cap off. I grabed the rotor itself and gave it a good wiggle and there in more than a little play in the shaft the rotor sits on. Dumb question i know but, is this normal? What could it cause? The car seems to run strong other than a rough idle from time to time that shakes the car.

• Sponsors (?)

If there is excessive side to side play on the shaft itself. Then the bushings in the distributor housing are on their way out. Usually noticed by looking at the vane wheel and seeing if it has made contact with the PIP sensor. If it hasnt yet, it will eventually, and leave you stranded. The whole housing should be replaced if this is the case.

Well well, let me tell u what my neighbor did... I swapped dizzys out but couldn't get the new one to go back in and was getting REALLY frustrated. So I asked my ASE cert neighbor to give me a hand so I didn't break something in my furry. Well after 30 mins of him messing with it he got it to go in while I was searching on here. I asked him how he did it and he said "I worked my magic".... Come to find out, his magic was a 3lb dead blow hammer!!! I believe the oil pump shaft is bent. When it's idleing it has a bit of rattling noise:(

I just got it back out... it was stuck in there pretty good! i even said to him wil he was standing in my garage( wearing his work shirt with ASE cert on the sleeve) "dude!!!! and your ase cert???? He said to me and i quote " any idiot can read a book and pass those test":jaw: So now a damaged dizzy and pump shaft later i am right back where i started:nonono: i have a spare shaft though, ill pick another dizzy up on the way home.

not right now, car idles "ok" but have'nt driven it yet(wifey is at school with my girl's car seats). The original problem was trackin down the culprit for the rough idle. Thats when i notice the rotor shaft had tons of play in it. The one he pounded in there was the 1st replacment i tried. but to answer your question, no the dizzy seems fine now. im am starting to lean towards a lower intake leak though. i am losing coolant and its not in the oil or coming off the car. Im not sure though cause i did a collant system leak down test and it passed. I also have a little water from the exhaust and some white smoke from time to time.