Do 5.0s need MIL elims with o/r midpipes?

ACSPONY

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
Ohio
Looking into an o/r h-pipe, planning to keep the stocker for emissions testing. Do the 5.0s need MIL eliminators like the 4.6s or can I just plug in the O2 sensors and go? What's the best way to store the factory midpipe if I remove it so that the cats will work for emissions testing? Tape up the openings and store it in a bag? In the garage or inside?

Thanks,
~A.C.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, thanks for the answers guys. Any thoughts on storage?

Also, I know people have had problems with leaks at the header flange with aftermarket midpipes. Is this more brand specific or do I need to buy a gasket?

Ok, thanks for the answers guys. Any thoughts on storage?

Also, I know people have had problems with leaks at the header flange with aftermarket midpipes. Is this more brand specific or do I need to buy a gasket?

You dont need to wrap your cats either, they get air when they are on the car dont they? As far as leaking from the header to mid pipe, most ball collector style should seal fine. Your leak would most likely come from the header flange to the head this is caused by poor quality headers or a warped flange. Stay away from headers from individual flange headers to help minimize this risk (MAC).

i thought it threw a code at you unless you got MIL eliminators tho.

The o2s on the 5.0s just tell the computer how rich or lean the bank is running. On a 4.6 they have the same ones in roughly the same spot, but they have another set in the back that measures the exhaust after it has been run through the converters. This tells the computer that the cats are working properly. The 5.0s don't have these o2s.