Do any of you find yourselves wanting an s197?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, and I could sell my GT and get into one with payments, but I would not want to do that with the new 5.0 coming out in 2011.

I rather run my GT into the ground, save up, and get a 5.0 GT a few model years old after someone else has taken the depreciation hit. I'd be happy with a 5.0, track pack, and a 6 speed...:rock:

I don't see it changing that much...seems like most guys that are fans of pre-05 still aren't very enthused about post-05s...

I was chatting with a friend last night about it and I priced out a 2010 with the same features as my 2000...it was almost $43,000 :jaw:

...now, I'm a big Mustang fan, and have owned quite a few of them, but if I was shopping in the mid-40K range I'd be looking at a BMW321i or an Audi A5 vert :drool:

I
I was chatting with a friend last night about it and I priced out a 2010 with the same features as my 2000...it was almost $43,000

LOL...interesting how that is...I'll have to try that with mine.

My '03 Premium GT coupe came with everything except 2 options: automatic transmission and the Mach 1000 system. And it stickered for $25,900 (I got it for $23K, out the door). I would've even gotten a Mach 1 at the time had they not been over $28K sticker.

I just find it a little sad that a base GT now starts at more than what a fully loaded GT did 7 years ago. I know it's all inflation and such...but when the price for a V8 creeps closer to the $30K mark, can it really be considered "affordable"?

And yes, I do agree that a GT with all the options now costing over $40K is a bit ridiculous. Granted, some of those options I wouldn't bother with (I don't ever see me getting a glass-roof...gimme an open top) but still. A few grand more and you can just get a GT500 at that point.

Some of you guys make it sound as though the Mustang is the only car that's gone up in price? Inflation, plus the fact that the S197 is twice the car accross the board tha the old Fox bodies and SN95's is the reason for the price jump.

Some of you guys make it sound as though the Mustang is the only car that's gone up in price? Inflation, plus the fact that the S197 is twice the car accross the board tha the old Fox bodies and SN95's is the reason for the price jump.

I was thinking the same thing. You get what you pay for. Our cars are pretty simple compared to the S197.

I like the new Mustangs, but, the cost is just too much for me to stomach. Plus, I tend to like the ones with aftermarket ground effects and bigger wheels, which is even more money. And they are heavy. But some of them are drop dead gorgeous. My car is almost paid off, and once I get my cams in I'll be well over 300 rwhp n/a, so I'll stick with that, suprise the S197 every now and then. When the engine goes, I'll stroke it to a 5.0 and put heads on.

And for some reason, I am still on the fence about the back end....seems soft to me. whatev.

I love the look of the s197's but I don't want to experience paying a note on it. I also don't like how they did the placement of the mufflers on them either.

True , our cars have the mufflers totally hidden which is fairly unique.
Also our license plate is on the trunk lid instead of the bumper.
But I still have not driven or even riden in a s197 so I dont know if I want one.

but 10 years ago you couldn't touch a new BMW or similar car for the price of a nice Mustang GT, now you can...that's not simply inflation...

and there is no doubt the S197 is a more sophisticated car, but whether it is a better car car is much more subjective...

The sticker on my car was $40,900.

but your car isn't a GT is it? don't the current Shelbys run about $50,000?

but 10 years ago you couldn't touch a new BMW or similar car for the price of a nice Mustang GT, now you can...that's not simply inflation...

and there is no doubt the S197 is a more sophisticated car, but whether it is a better car car is much more subjective...

Ten years ago the cheapest BMW had a base price roughly similar to a loaded Mustang GT vert. You could definitly get a BMW for the price of a Cobra.

Today a base BMW 328 is roughly the price of a loaded Mustang GT. in the interveneing years BMW introduced a cheaper 1 series, which even then, the cheapest 1 series bases at roughly the cost of a 2010 Mustang GT base.

And keep in mind that BMW doesn't sell base cars. They all have close to $10K in options added on before they get to the dealer lot. Not so much with a Mustang.

And there is a power difference between the BMW and the Mustang. A significant power difference. Mustangs are still a more powerful, cheaper option to a BMW if you are looking for a RWD sports coupe.

Exactly what is subjective about it? The new Mustangs right out of the gate are faster, safer, more fuel efficient, more eco friendly, more comfortable, sport better brakes, better chassis design, more standard and optional bells and whistles are available now that ever before, and the car itself if by far of better over all build quality than any other Mustang before it.

Now if you want to argue "style", then you have a point....but that point would be subjective to taste and taste alone.

For all other intents and purposes, the S197 is light years ahead of any Ford based model thats worn the Mustang Monkier.

Exactly what is subjective about it? The new Mustangs right out of the gate are faster, safer, more fuel efficient, more eco friendly, more comfortable, sport better brakes, better chassis design, more standard and optional bells and whistles are available now that ever before, and the car itself if by far of better over all build quality than any other Mustang before it.

Now if you want to argue "style", then you have a point....but that point would be subjective to taste and taste alone.

For all other intents and purposes, the S197 is light years ahead of any Ford based model thats worn the Mustang Monkier.

because failing Rpm gauges , stereo paint coming off within first 4-5 months of use is really a top quality job.