Do i need a chip burned

bluelx347

Jan 14, 2004
chicago
I have recently dropped a 347 stroker with a mild cam in my 90 mustang and am wondering if I will need a chip burned for my car. Next year i am planning on getting a stand alone system and do not want to spend the money on getting a chip burned if i do not need to. Will my car run okay without one.

Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

bluelx347 said:
I have recently dropped a 347 stroker with a mild cam in my 90 mustang and am wondering if I will need a chip burned for my car. Next year i am planning on getting a stand alone system and do not want to spend the money on getting a chip burned if i do not need to. Will my car run okay without one.

Thank you

yes, get it tuned for optimal performance. a dyno tune with a wideband o2 sensor is your best bet.

I have a 306 with an e cam and a strim blower My chip was the old big box type. I took the car to Swansons performance and they put a chip the size of a watch in there and were able to bring up everything on a computer and check the leanness or if it was too rich and dynoed at 435 HP. Thats my 02..I think siresureshot is the most experienced guy on here so if your naturally aspirated you should be fine..Matt

No, you do NOT need to spend the money. Save for the tuning device your planning on buying. Chips do NOT always make more power. I had one made for my car and out it came after 2 weeks. Its collecting dust on my shelf because the shop that did it blows. I hope it burns down :)