Do I need a line loc to do a decent burn out?

svasica

Founding Member
Jan 13, 1999
Long Island
I have MT ET Streets that do require a light burnout to clean them off and heat them up. I do not have a line loc though and don't think using the brakes while spinning the rear wheels is the best method since the rear drums are engaged when i'm on braking and i'm basically toasting them. Is there a better way to do this? Is a line loc the only option?

• Sponsors (?)

You can do a line lock. Or just the standing on brake method is ok. The majority of braking is done by the front disc's so your not completely burning off the rear drums. And your not doing an hour long burnout. I wouldnt worry about it. If you really wanted to you could crawl under the car and adjust the rear drums so they dont engage as much for your burnouts.

I have a tremic and i do a second gear burn out with my et's, with no line locks, basically a power brake. If you do a line lock they are very complicated on these fox bodied cars but i think it would be worth it. But i dont feel that by doing a 2-5 sec power brake /burn out it will affect your rear brakes that much? I could almost bet that just by driving the car under normal circumstances and stop and go is more on the brakes then the burn out would be? peace

john:p

I have a line loc on my car and it was easy to install. Another nice feature of it is starting out on hills with a standard works great. I would say go get yourself one. You can do the brakestand burnout but i like my line loc.

yeah there is no real downside to a line lock plus you can launch harder, i would not imagine the holding the brake to do a burnout would hurt the drum brakes, i do it all the time on the street to get um spinnin with my aod, and have never noticed any side effects(tire bill excluded)

Yea, my fox chassis has over 200K on it (only couple 1000 on engine) and I had to replace the brakes, including the drums. So basically I have brand new drums and pads out back, so I'm more worried that it may actually start gripping harder and hindering a good burnout. But from what i'm hearing it probably won't be a problem.

svasica said:
Yea, my fox chassis has over 200K on it (only couple 1000 on engine) and I had to replace the brakes, including the drums. So basically I have brand new drums and pads out back, so I'm more worried that it may actually start gripping harder and hindering a good burnout. But from what i'm hearing it probably won't be a problem.

Naah...the drums don't lock that hard anyways. Since yours are new you should go out and wear them in too :D

Id get it, I just spent TONS of money replacing everything in my drums, including the drums themselves because it was all blown up, about a year ago. I have MT ET Streets, I have done my fair share of burnouts at the track, about 5-10 seconds each. Just powerbraking and, I can tell my brakes are DEAD.

my boss ended up hooking his line lock up different so that when he hits the line lock it closes the rear brake lines than he can control the burnout with his 2 feet (78 Impala auto) he said that with the line loc installed the right way his car would push the car slightly

hmm, i never thought of doing that...depends on how much pressure you need though...the line loc is designed to save your foot too, not just your brakes.

what does everyone think about standing on the brakes and doing a burnout with rear disc?

I'd just heel toe it if it were me. I've got 12" baers in the rear and have noticed no excessive wear on them. locs are good for guys who do lots of burnouts and race frequently but rear brakes don't grab enough to justify one for occasional tire thrashing/heating.