Do I need a new shifter

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
Illinois
while romping on my car in 1st let off the go pedal and the shifter went all sloppy. i can still find gears and not making any noise but its like shifting an old truck 4speed. if i do need to replace shifter do you have to take the whole center console out. i lightly tried prying the center trim out but it wasnt working and i didnt want to crack it. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

is this the stock shifter? when I had the americanmuscle short shifter in the old stang that happened to me too, the bushings that holds the shifter in the center of the plate broke and it got all loose. fix was replacement of the shifter.

...do need to replace shifter do you have to take the whole center console out...

No.

Unscrew the shift knob and set aside.

Grab the inside of the shifter surround on both sides of the shifter and pull straight up. It should come right off with a little pressure. You're not going to break anything with even pressure.

Remove the two bolts holding the handle to the shifter.

Remove the four screws holding the rubber boot to the floor.

Remove the four bolts holding the shifter housing to the transmission.

At this point, I find it helpful to loosely reattach the shifter handle and use this as leverage to break the shifter loose from the tranny.

However you do it, remove the shifter from the tranny and follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding shifter stops and install the new shifter in the reverse order you took the old one out.

Realistically, this operation should take you 30-45 minutes. The only tools required are a basic socket set and a 1/2" wrench.