Do I need longer studs going with 1inch spacers?

bcollie67

Mar 18, 2008
Do I need to replace my lugs for a longer length if I am putting 17x8 front with a 1 inch spacer, and 17x9 rear with a 7/16 inch spacer? Or are te factory lugs long enough?

Also are most of you guys running hub centric spacers or lug centric spacers.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

a wheel adapter is better than a spacer since the adapter bolts in place, and the wheel bolts to the adapter. if you use just a spacer, then yes you want longer studs by the thickness of the spacer.

You won't be able to use an adapter in the rear. For an adapter you need 1" or more thickness to clear the factory studs.

7/16" is pushing it with the factory length studs. It will depend on your wheels. Installing new studs is pretty easy and cheap... I've done it myself for the same reason.

You won't be able to use an adapter in the rear. For an adapter you need 1" or more thickness to clear the factory studs.

7/16" is pushing it with the factory length studs. It will depend on your wheels. Installing new studs is pretty easy and cheap... I've done it myself for the same reason.

Thanks! I found a kit at cj pony parts that has the 1 inch wheel adaptors for the front, 7/16 hubcentric spacers for the rear with new longer studs, and new chrome lug nuts for $280.00.

I think I like this kit over the vintage venom kit that has the hubcentric spacers for the front and back, but it does seem a little pricey. Anyone know where to get this kit with the above mentioned parts for cheaper?

I bought four 1" adapters w/lugnuts for $120 on eBay. I had to grind a bit off of the tip of the factory studs because they stuck out very slightly, maybe 1mm. If your wheel backs have holes between the lug area then the extra stud length won't matter.

Why can't you use a 1" adaptor in the rear ? They worked fine on my 67 ?

No wonder, I didn't notice the 17x9 in the rear. Ya, I think 1" will be too much in the rear with a standard SN95 type wheel. If you got the right backspacing, you might be able to make it work in the rear with no spacer.