Do I really need a new quarter...

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
So for x-mas my folks sprang for a new quarter skin after I told them about the damage I'd found under the near .25 inch of bondo on my driver side. There is a fist sized dent, lots of dings, and some wierd stippling near the very back. They got the smaller quarter skin for like 97$ total but I'm not sure I need it. I think most of the stuff can be repaired. Wanted to see what everyone else thought. Would it be worth keeping or sending back for the new tail panel that I'm almost positive that I'm gonna need?
100_0243.jpg
Here's the dent part... there are still some stud-welder tips on the panel from the previous repair... hahaha

100_0241.jpg

100_0239.jpg

and some overall pics...
100_0236.jpg

100_0235.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0243.jpg
    100_0243.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0241.jpg
    100_0241.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0239.jpg
    100_0239.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0236.jpg
    100_0236.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_0235.jpg
    100_0235.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Sponsors (?)

IMO that looks like some work trying to repair it, the rear quarter I'd think would be less work. I still haven't installed mine, but I have rust. You might not be as bad since it is dents; pound 'em out and add a little bondo, sand, see where you are at and add some metal glaze. Make sure it's smooth.

It is difficult to tell the extent of the damage with the pictures. However, with a skin you are going to run into a lot of issues to get it to fit top and bottom, front and rear. There will be filler at the front, rear, and the entire top once the skin is in place. Assuming there is no rust as it appears in the pictures--for the amount of work it would take to re-skin, I would be prefer to metal finish what you have shrinking the areas as needed using a torch. The body lines of the original panel at the door jamb and rear quarter extension are far sharper than any skin I have seen, so I always prefer the original panels if they are salvagable.

It is difficult to tell the extent of the damage with the pictures. However, with a skin you are going to run into a lot of issues to get it to fit top and bottom, front and rear. There will be filler at the front, rear, and the entire top once the skin is in place. Assuming there is no rust as it appears in the pictures--for the amount of work it would take to re-skin, I would be prefer to metal finish what you have shrinking the areas as needed using a torch. The body lines of the original panel at the door jamb and rear quarter extension are far sharper than any skin I have seen, so I always prefer the original panels if they are salvagable.

I agree. I'd metal finish the panel if there's no severe rust and put some filler in it. Instead of using a torch though you can buy a shrinking disc that the say works fantastic. It'll just heat the areas up that need shrinking. I plan on buying me one.