do plat plugs = power loss

Iwant5.0

Jan 9, 2003
NC
I made the mistake of using bosch platium plugs and now my car feels like it has lost a little pep. Should i replace them with motorcraft ones if i want that pep back? The car just isnt pulling like it was before i changed them and how often should a ignition coil be replaced?

thx

• Sponsors (?)

maybe you left some of them unhooked. j/k. ive noticed no power gain using platinum plugs but i didnt notice a power loss either. id only use them if you have an engine where the plugs are a PITA to get to (Mitsu V-6, LT1, etc...) because they are supposed to last a long time.

I had Bosch Plats installed in my car when I purchased it. They were very new and the car had just had a complete tune 1 month before I purchased the car so I didn't bother changing them for a while. I have since done a re-tune and replaced those plugs with copper core Autolites because the engine would sputter and pop and miss at 3950+ rpms. Now that I have the Autolites in I can definitely say that the car has slightly more kick to 4k rpm, and continues to pull hard right up to redline. I was amazed that a sparkplug could be such a big problem, but I am not the only one on here that has had a similar problem with the Bosch Plats....... Go back to Autolites, Motorcraft, or Champion copper plugs.

My .02 :flag:

The Bosch plats electrode causes more quench due to their design.
I have heard great things about the new iridium plugs, NGK and Denso offer some performance plugs that have seen ~10hp gains due to the very thin(.4-.7mm) fine wire core. I am running NGKr's right now, but plan on swapping to iridium soon, they say they are OK for N2O as well where platinum plugs are not.

yeah it seems nowadays the bosch just don't work well in fords. i took 2 sets back cause the same thing. my friend had the same thing happen to his Ranger. mine choked bad with the air on pulling a hill or speeding up.

Platnium isn't as good a conduction of electricity as copper is.

As my expeirence goes, no platnium plug works well in the 5.0 motor.

Our motors live on Motorcraft or Autolite copper plugs. Just runa simple Autolite 25 and call it a day

91conv. said:
I believe since mid 90's that most auto makers put platnium plugs in at the factory. I know ford did.

Not on the 5.0 though. It's ignition was engineered with copper plugs in mind.

Ford put platnium plugs on my Lincoln. They also claim they are good for 100K miles. It says right in the manual that my plugs didn't need to be changed til 100,000 miles.

Plat plugs were basically a marketing ploy. Think about it..less maintainence equals saved money so people bought into that. Ford could care less that they lost a bit of power on the engines. It's all about the bling bling.

Only benefit of plat plugs....longer time intervals between changes. THAT'S IT

Platinum plugs were made for one thing- longer lasting - not for performance, or any other reason, plat's are great for commuter cars not high horsepower vehicles. And don't get fooled by bu--sh-t splitfires and all the other plugs to give you power, like the guys above said go with the original copper style plugs, and there less than 2 bucs each...

I ran 13.00's with bosch platniums on a totally stock long block, stock electronics, full weight stock suspensioned car that is in the sig., that is in crappy 2600+ d/a conditions.
Car would pull to 5600 1st gear shift point with ease.

I'm now running NGK's 'cause I got them free. I saw no driveability or performce benifits when I switched to NGK's.

I actually had better 60' times with the Bosch plugs in the car, not that I would attribite it to the plugs.