do we overvalue our cars??? frustrated

I have more to spend than 3k. I could spend 10 if I wanted to, tax free E6 pay = :trip: . However, I am not so young anymore and I can not justify putting 10k into a car that will only be driven when weather permits. It pains me to say but I would rather spend the money finishing my basement.

I have found that people who are really serious about what they build ask a pretty reasonable price. Average price for a blown or H/C/I car that is well maintained seems around $7500. I think that is reasonable, but takes all the fun out of doing it yourself.

Then there are these http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3552664596.html And actually verts usually are the best examples around it seems.

I think i should be able to spend around 4500 and not get something that's a total POS

• Sponsors (?)

Now you start getting into bang for your buck debates.

$5k for a clean but basically stock fox 5.0, or use that cash for say...a 96-98 cobra?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I have more to spend than 3k. I could spend 10 if I wanted to, tax free E6 pay = :trip: . However, I am not so young anymore and I can not justify putting 10k into a car that will only be driven when weather permits. It pains me to say but I would rather spend the money finishing my basement.

I have found that people who are really serious about what they build ask a pretty reasonable price. Average price for a blown or H/C/I car that is well maintained seems around $7500. I think that is reasonable, but takes all the fun out of doing it yourself.

Then there are these http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3552664596.html And actually verts usually are the best examples around it seems.

I think i should be able to spend around 4500 and not get something that's a total POS

hahahaha 350hp? personally i would pick up something in the 1-3 range that has a good body and wont need to be painted. the interior might not be the best and the engine may have a few miles on it.

i got mine for $700 and Ive had a blast with it. yeah i dont have door panels and its an auto the interior need a lot of work but the body is straight and has no rust.

I love the screws used to hold the shifter console trim down.

It also has camS? lol

I'm selling my 93 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible. This car has basically every upgrade possible. It has cams, flowmaster exhaust system from the headers to the tail pipes. Stage 3 racing clutch, upgraded suspension and brakes. K & N cold air intake and the rear end has been redone for more speed. Has a fresh paint job and racing stripes that are flat black to match the flat black 17" svt cobra wheels. Also has HID's and six piece smoked out tail lights. It has a in-dash Clarion tv/DVD/navigation/CD/mp3/am-fm head unit for a radio with a 600 watt rockfordfoskate amp pushing 2 580 watt pioneer 5 way 6x9's. It's got a good inspection sticker until June. It's got no lites on in the dash and will pass inspection with no problem. I'm asking 5,500$ or best offer. I would consider trades for something clean. Call to inquire 401-im-atard

hahahaha "This car has basically every upgrade possible." i didnt know flowmaster made headers "It's got no lites..."

man must be slim pickins out there

I hear numbers like $3,000...$5,000...$7,500 being throw around like it's gospel and that person would be crazy to spend more than "X" amount of dollars on one. The fact of the matter, is that the price of the car is going to be dependant on the market and the area that marekt is in. In Ontario, $4,500 gets you a ragged out, beat up fox with $250,000km on the clock. I see really clean, nice examples still going for near $10,000. I had to drive 6 hours to find mine and it still needed work and I paid a lot more than $4,500 for it.

That's just the way it goes. You want cheap, be prepared to travel to an area where they're selling cheap and eat the transport costs. Otherwise, suck it up, pay local prices and don't listen to the wind bags that tell you how much less they could have gotten the same car for...because in the end, they're full of :poo: and you've got a new Mustang parked in the driveway.

Reactions: 1 user
Let's see what kind of Fox we can buy in St. Louis these days?
This one is pretty much sums up what I see in the 3K range.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3609418880.html - $3200
3M33L43N95Gb5E95K4d2beb672a8765111e1d.jpg

3E43F43I85La5Nc5E8d2b7211bce070861e6d.jpg

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3547878497.html - "Mint" SVO with 94K - $8500. I have no interest in SVO's or their market. High or low?

3E63G13Mf5E45Fa5H6d1f836715be2acf11c5.jpg

3E83G33Nb5E45F95Mcd1f1b9374719d311a71.jpg
Not the best photographer.

This guy is out to lunch.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3599622865.html - 83 Mustang with 24K - $9400!!!
3n93L73Ja5E55Kd5M7d263bb5c4756bb91df8.jpg

3E13G23Nb5L55I35E9d26c556be2d51e41f91.jpg

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3613769921.html - 88 Mustang "GT" that looks like an LX? $4500
3F53N73pd5Ec5F55H5d2ce234dcd2fa521f68.jpg

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3613519545.html - Clean 5.0 Mustang - No year listed, supposedly low miles but unlisted. Looks decent, but horrible photography. $6000
3E73Jc3N35Ge5E65K1d2ce7ca69d9010d1a3b.jpg

Last one - http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3613134257.html - 87 GT $5200. Ugly paint job.
3M83N23l35E45He5Jfd2ce2366da4349f19d6.jpg

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3613523525.html - $2300 for a wrecked up GT 'vert.

The only one i like is the blue/titanium GT, but he does need better pictures and a better ad overall. If he had that, he might get $5000-5500 depending on how clean it actually is. Of course...he leaves out the mileage. That's almost as bad as someone who lists the vehicle mileage as the miles since the 150K mile engine was rebuilt.

I would argue that 4 eye is worth what he's asking. It may only appeal to a niche market, and because of that it may go unsold for a while, but that thing is beautiful. The only thing I don't care for is the wheels.

I would argue that 4 eye is worth what he's asking. It may only appeal to a niche market, and because of that it may go unsold for a while, but that thing is beautiful. The only thing I don't care for is the wheels.

I agree...it is a sweet car, with nice paint and a few nice parts and may command a higher buck to the right buyer...but at best shoud only make it worth as much as an '87-'93 EFI car, not more than. At $9,400 he's about about $3,000 too high IMO....even in an Ontario market.

I think if it is 87-93 you are right on, but 83 just isn't a particularly desirable year. Not bashing the car, but I think when most think of 5.0 Mustang they are thinking Aero nose. Gearbanger is right, it is about a $6500 car.

I'm selling my 93 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible. This car has basically every upgrade possible. It has cams, flowmaster exhaust system from the headers to the tail pipes. Stage 3 racing clutch, upgraded suspension and brakes. K & N cold air intake and the rear end has been redone for more speed. Has a fresh paint job and racing stripes that are flat black to match the flat black 17" svt cobra wheels. Also has HID's and six piece smoked out tail lights. It has a in-dash Clarion tv/DVD/navigation/CD/mp3/am-fm head unit for a radio with a 600 watt rockfordfoskate amp pushing 2 580 watt pioneer 5 way 6x9's. It's got a good inspection sticker until June. It's got no lites on in the dash and will pass inspection with no problem. I'm asking 5,500$ or best offer. I would consider trades for something clean. Call to inquire 401-im-atard

hahahaha "This car has basically every upgrade possible." i didnt know flowmaster made headers "It's got no lites..."

man must be slim pickins out there

yeah....350hp through a stock intake, TB and injectors.... :shrug:.. I wonder how he keeps that booming stereo going with the stock 75a alternator? I hate these idiots that think they can BS their way into selling a car.

Gearbanger 101 91TwighlightGT you guys probably fall outside of the small niche of the hobby that would prefer a 4-eye over an aero car, which is fine, to each his own. Personally, I would value the rare '83 with the hood bulge and the duck tail spoiler MUCH higher than the ultra-common 87-93 cars. Not meaning to take any stabs there, but understand that I'm drooling over that car haha.

Gearbanger 101 91TwighlightGT you guys probably fall outside of the small niche of the hobby that would prefer a 4-eye over an aero car, which is fine, to each his own. Personally, I would value the rare '83 with the hood bulge and the duck tail spoiler MUCH higher than the ultra-common 87-93 cars. Not meaning to take any stabs there, but understand that I'm drooling over that car haha.

Yeah, I just think you could get it cheaper than $9400! Like I said, not bashing on the car at all, it is very nice.

I hear numbers like $3,000...$5,000...$7,500 being throw around like it's gospel and that person would be crazy to spend more than "X" amount of dollars on one. The fact of the matter, is that the price of the car is going to be dependant on the market and the area that marekt is in. In Ontario, $4,500 gets you a ragged out, beat up fox with $250,000km on the clock. I see really clean, nice examples still going for near $10,000. I had to drive 6 hours to find mine and it still needed work and I paid a lot more than $4,500 for it.

That's just the way it goes. You want cheap, be prepared to travel to an area where they're selling cheap and eat the transport costs. Otherwise, suck it up, pay local prices and don't listen to the wind bags that tell you how much less they could have gotten the same car for...because in the end, they're full of **** and you've got a new Mustang parked in the driveway.

I lucked out and got my notch with 192,000km (8,000km driven since 2002) 100% rust free for $4600 in Brampton of all places. Clean interior, mostly stock except for gears, cai, cobra rims and lowering springs (the last two I removed). Needs a paintjob (which it's getting in a week) but it currently looks great from 5-10 feet away.

Mind you.. now I've pulled the motor in favour of a rebuilt 306 with all the goodies.. but that's part of the game. With the paint I'll have ~$10k sitting there. I don't think I'd get that in today's market in Ontario.. even being rust-free with perfect floors. If I listed it for 8k in April I'd probably sit on it a while before someone bought it.

As time goes by I have no doubt the price will rise.. give it another 7 years.. They'll get expensive.

Bought mine (89 GT) for $3500 in May of 2011. Was purchased in NH and at the time had ~83k miles. It was stock, with original intake, manifold, even the distributor boot. Interior was untouched and the ash tray cover was still intact. Few small spots of rust on the drivers fender and hatch and there was a hole in the corner of the front end. Paint was not in the greatest shape either (oxidized and just crappy looking). I had searched for months to find one like that (stock and under 100k miles). They are there just tough to find. I do think that the prices for clean, stock ones will and are going up. It says something when seeing a clean, stock fox is out of the norm, as I would guess that the ones that have been worked/chopped/beat on now outnumber those that are still stock looking.