Do you ever get sick of your 5-speed?

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't want an automatic. With that being said, in day to day traffic, accelerating normally, I think an automatic would feel faster. The shifts are faster and you get up to speed faster unless you are shifting your manual very quickly. This is what I find anyways, and yes I've driven many automatic and manual cars. When you really get on it though, thats when the manual shines. :nice:

auto's are heavier and mine downshifts way too slow but in all 5 races against the exact same car as mine even the same colors and mods, on an 1/8 mile track against a 5 spd i had him everytime. i did the j mod so it shifts much firmer. the closest race had his front end about 2 ft. from mine. also auto's are better for power adders

dude, after awhile you cant drive anything else....I have been known to once in awhile step on the brake thinking it was the clutch....also you get used to having a choice in when and where your power is used...In an auto its kinda up to a computer....and just like it was said above, its fun driving it in the twisties, especially when you have an upgraded exhaust...hahhaa

I have a serious problem with automatics. I have been driving my mom's suv for the last couple of weeks cause my stang is down. I can't stand the way they down shift when accelerating out of a corner. I just want to accelerate somewhat quickly and then bam! its red lining, jesus i just want to get to the speed limit. So no I will never get sick of my manual. And how embarrassing is it to have to put your car in to neutral just to rev it?????

It depends on what your mustang it used for; as a DD, I opted to go auto. I did 5 years in Chicago stop-n-go traffic and it just plain sucked monkey k-nuts.

the whole roll up 8 feet and stop, roll up 8 feet and come to a stop, roll up 8 feet and come to a stop was for the birds.

My Notch is a banger, so if I need a fix I take it out. As far as relaxing and not dealing with the car bucking or having a bigger left leg: auto for a commuter for me.

As far as the 05+ cars, auto is the only way to go. 6 grand right now through the first three gears, all the time, ever time, Ford dialed it in right.

Converter, full exhaust, CAI, tune---mid to low 12's on an 05+

It will depend a lot on the clutch and engine. If you have a solid hub clutch and an engine that shakes your fillings out at anything less than 1800rpm... you won't be having fun unless your at WOT.

For most street driven vehicles with reasonable pedal pressure and feel, manuals are great fun and only get old if you are stuck in stop and go traffic. You can be very lazy with a manual V8 too. It has enough torque that you can easily skip a gear or 4 gears! :lol: If I'm feeling lazy, I'll go from 1st to 3rd to 5th, or in residential streets, I'll leave it in 3rd or 4th and just let it bog a bit around the corners and run a bit fast on the streights. Even in bad traffic, you can leave it in 1st or 2nd and just idle your way up the road at 5mph just as an automatic transmission would. Just be patient and let the gap infront of you grow and shrink instead of staying on the ass of the person infront of you doing the stop and go thing.
With my 4.10s, I routinely start in 2nd gear when I'm puttering around, unless there is an incline, then I use 1st.

I hate having 1st gear wind up so quickly when I don't need the power, so 2nd is perfect from a standstill.

I also like how 1st and 2nd gear will power itself in traffic without needing the clutch to prevent stalling.:nice:

Only in traffic, but even then you get used to it. I commute with my car, so i sit in 1.5 hours of traffic each day. You get used to it and your left leg gets huge :)

However, i have been living with a minor meniscus tear in my left knee. Sometimes when i strain it it can be tough and i wish I had an Auto.

But hoestly...if i had an Automatic Mustang i'd be bored as hell.

I've had a 5spd ever since I started driving at 15 and I've never had anything else. Sometimes it gets old but the fun and response you get from a manual outways the bad times of having one by 10 fold.

The reason I first bought my 99 stang (also an auto) was because I had
a Maxima SE 5 speed and I had hurt my back. Shifting in traffic every day
to and from work was agravating the condition, so I went out looking to
find a car that was still fun to drive and had some power. When I drove the
99 GT auto I was impresssed and bought it on the spot.
So yeah I miss the 5 speed but the advantages of the auto outweigh
the benifits of the 5 speed since I get in heavy trafic daily. And my back is still
not exactly in perfect shape........