Do you guys loosen both plugs to drain oil?

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
I know this is a really really stupid question but do you guys take out both plugs when draining oil? I currently only take the rear one out because I noticed the front one is really hard to take off? Let me know

• Sponsors (?)

I'm lazy. I take it to the drive through oil change place.

The first time I took the Mustang in, they only pulled the one plug. And I wound up overfilled. I took it back in, and they drained the oil out and filled it back up again (again only pulling the one plug). And sure enough, the spec 5 quarts (or whatever it is) left me overfilled again. So they pulled both plugs and let it drain. This pass, I got the correct fill.

So to make a long story short, I agree that you need to pull both plugs. Otherwise you will not be draining out all of the oil.

I believe you should change your own oil instead of letting some dumbass at a jiffy lube change it. If I was out of state, I'd take it to a privately owned service station and pay the extra $10 or whatever it is to have done... But in the end, Jiffy Lube's screw you by charging you $5 for the oil disposal and some hazard fees. :lol: the price ends up being the same as to where I work.

sage2k said:
we have 2 oil plugs wtf?
I just bought my 94 gt and noticed only one when I changed my oil... O_O

I dont have a jack with me right now, does anyone of a pic of the plugs

Notice the Gray bolt in the front of the oil pan...That's it, the front drain.... :nice:
Ford's run a front oil pump....hence the distributor in the front of the motor versus a GM product....dizzy in the rear
engine_stand.jpg

Yea its cleaner to do the rear first and not get the oil everwhere then do the front last. The first time i changed mine i didnt do it cause i was like ok two all i have to do is one but it didnt make any difference other than my car had 1 quart of old oil in it. So the next oil change i did both of them. I just switch from mobil 1 drive clean 10W-30 after two years to now using Mobil 1 synthetic.

I jack up the front, do the rear plug and filter, then jack up the rear and do the front plug. Its a pain in the azz but I refuse to let some jackass at a gas station do it.

My little brother used to change oil at a shop, and he has a hard time with a lego set. I don't even like it when he LOOKS at my car for too long.