Do you or family or friends use tobacco products? Read this immediately. DO IT NOW !!

The Hopkinator

Dec 5, 2002
NC
Use tobacco ? Family ? Read this..Not another"quit now"advice column.May save ur life

Okay kids, here is a quick lesson in why tobacco is dangerous , and what you (we) no quitters can do about it. Nicotine in itself is harmless. Nicotine however, is powerfully addictive, as all of us that have dabbled in smoking or chewing know. Extremely hard to quit. Here comes the important part . What makes it dangerous? The answer to that is Tobacco Specific Nitrosamines, or "TSNA's " . In North American tobacco , the leaf is fermented, allowing for uncontrolled growth of TSNAs. Then , our loving big tobacco companies add fun things like embalming fluid, fiberglass, bugs, cat terds ( :D ) , God knows what. Its not regulated. NOW, in cigarette form, the tobacco is lit. Burned tobacco increases the TSNA levels hundredfolds , which is sucked into your lungs. Ive never smoked, but as a true North Carolinian , I went straight from the pacifier to the can of Skoal. What if I could introduce you Mustang loving Copenhagen addicts , or Skoal, or even smokers to a form of tobacco that you could use and reduce the risk of carcinogenic activity to almost nothing? The TSNA problem is associated with all tobacco across the board, with the exception of Swedish “Snus” . The Swedes have a process referred to as “ Gothiatek”. Heres where it gets interesting . In the last 10 years or so , the Swedes have placed severe regulations on tobacco production, the most important being the curing. Gothiatek is an air cured, steamed process that reduces TSNA levels to almost nil. Secondly, production is regulated by their FDA , which strictly controls ingredients, allowing only products that are approved for food use to go in. The proof of the success is in over 20 epidemiological studies . The most significant study compared TSNA levels in several American brands and one Swedish brand, Ettan Snus . The brands were Skoal, Copenhagen , Silver Creek , Hawken , and Timber Wolf. The test was clinical, extremely advanced , and yielded these results. PER 2 GRAMS ( dip size !) TSNAs , Copenhagen was 40 something , Skoal hit 64 , Silver Creek was a horrendous 127 and get this my pals ( and 2 or 3 that don’t like me) Ettan Snus had 2.3 . That’s not 23 , but two point three . And it tastes just like Copenhagen , and is as strong. Here are some links to read about it. I put this here knowing that not everybody chews or smokes, but most likely know somebody that does. Im not selling the stuff, you have to order it online from Sweden, Im posting in hopes it may save the life of someone you know or love. Ill post a link to the company I buy from first (which has a facts listing as well that’s interesting , then Ill put a few other links with info on the tests , stats , etcc.In Sweden, 20 percent of the male population use Snus, and they have less smokers there per capita than anywhere . I think they found one case of an oral dysplasia , and that was a 90 year old man that chewed for 70 years ., long before the Gothiatek process came to be. Tobacco can be made less risky, its just not in the financial interest of American companies to engage in the process. Shameful ? Absolutely . Read these..

http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/TC12 349.pdf

www.northerner.com (where to order)

• Sponsors (?)

I can't see placing the blame on tobacco companies, I place it on the dumbasses that continue to use the crap. I mean they've only been placing the warnings since 1957, so why is tobacco use at an all time high? Stupid people use it, that's why. I think tobacco deaths purify the gene pool, sorry.

If you ever started using tobacco products then you would understand how hard it is to stop. I don't think it is right for people to place all the blame on tobacco companies, but I know those companies have done everything in their power to keep people using their products. Engineering their products to be as addictive as possible.

zookeeper said:
I can't see placing the blame on tobacco companies, I place it on the dumbasses that continue to use the crap. I mean they've only been placing the warnings since 1957, so why is tobacco use at an all time high? Stupid people use it, that's why. I think tobacco deaths purify the gene pool, sorry.

:banana:

zookeeper said:

I agree 100%. Even dumb animals know to run from fire and smoke. I find it all too funny that people want freedom of choice, but then blame others for their choices.

Kids ! Kids ! Easy ! This isnt about the worlds idiots that use it, its about a type that carries significantly less to almost no risk increase BY using it. Not everyone who chews or smokes needs elimination from the gene pool. :D Starting with myself.... :rlaugh: Seriously, there are those that just, well, dont want to quit. If you know someone, and care about them, pass this on. Im not advocating tobacco use, Im informing about a less lethal type. Like Jikelly said, its hard for most people to stop that are hardcore. This suggestion is for those people. Your father maybe? Brother ? :nice:

I can't see placing the blame on tobacco companies, I place it on the dumbasses that continue to use the crap. I mean they've only been placing the warnings since 1957, so why is tobacco use at an all time high? Stupid people use it, that's why. I think tobacco deaths purify the gene pool, sorry

I agree 100%. Even dumb animals know to run from fire and smoke. I find it all too funny that people want freedom of choice, but then blame others for their choices.

hey thanks guys 'preciate that. makes it that much easier to quit knowing i'm stupid or that much harder, but then again i started when i was legally stupid (14) and i've been smoking for 20 years now. guess you're right we're all stupid. i blame no one but myself for my ignorance and stupidity. but hey with support from you guys i should be able to quit any day now. i mean my mom and dad both quit, so did my grand dad's. one of 'em used to work on the railroad and he and all his buddies used to shoot cigarettes out of each others mouths with .22's, so i guess is just runs in the family. i don't expect anyone to not think people shouldn't smoke or even to not tell people they shouldn't smoke, but don't call us stupid. do either one of you guys drink at all or have you ever before? not much difference just the way the poison is delivered and ingested and actually i think drinking kills as many people as smoking does maybe more if you count all the people killed by drunk drivers every year. when was the last time you heard someone telling someone to put a drink down because it was bothering them? just a little food for thought

smoking kills around 400,000 or more people a year, depending on who you get your statistics from.

I dont see how non smokers can bitch about smokers though, considering they pay a huge chunk of the taxes with the sin tax...

(been trying to quit for five years...)

My opinion is that we all bring our own troubles on ourselves, regardless of what it is. Nobody is forcing anyone to start using tobacco products. YOU started using it because YOU thought it would be "cool". That means YOU are to blame. As far as the whole addictive thing, I don't buy that either. My Dad smoked for over 35 years, but when my Mom was diagnosed with a heart problem that was made worse by smoking, dad quit. Immediately. No patches, no therapy, no support groups, no kidding. Nobody can do it for you, show some will power, be a man and STOP USING THE STUFF! A friend of mine got minor oral cancer from chew, and had to have surgery, before the stitches were even out, he was chewing again. Sorry, but that's stupid. I've always asked people if chewing/smoking made them sick the first time. 100% of them said yes, my next question was "why the hell did you do it asecond time?"

I'll quit smoking my cigars when I die. At least I don't inhale.

As long as we can start regulating destructive behavior, heart disease and obesity are now the number one killer. How many anti-smokers eat at McDonald's?

Food for thought(pun intended).

That is such a stupid argument zoo, I'm sorry. Many folks got sick with that first drink too. There are alot off tree huggers out there who think it is stupid that we continue to pollute the air with our grand fathered cars and that we are stupid and selfish to continue using them when studies show how newer cars meet stricter emission tests releasing less toxins into the air that we all breath, so why do we and yourself continue to do it? Hell, the same arguments for the tobbacco industry are the same for the petroleum industry. Why do we continue to burn fossil fuels instead of just mandating a switch to cleaner fuel sources? Simple, not becasue we can't, but because the Govt is to afraid to kill an entire cash industry at the neck. So instead they slowly add higher standards, and regulations that need to bet met over ten years and blah blah, just like with Tobacco, raise the taxes, create deterents, but not stopping it.

Can you for the sake of what is right give up your car at the drop of a hat, cut that source of pleasure and relaxation from your life just like that? Hell, there are no addicitive substances in your car, so it should be far easier to do it and show us smokers the light, right?

Just becasue you don't have the problem, don't berrate others until you walk a mile in their shoes just because you can't understand their problem. Or do you also walk around belittling fat people because you can't understand why they can't moderate their food intake? It's nice that you are so strong willed and have such a high degree of will power, but not everyone does. Just like their are others that know how to be far more understanding and sympathetic, an area that you seem to be lacking in. No one is perfect.

I don't give a rat's ass if people smoke. You want to kill yourself? Be my guest. Don't blame tobacco companies, the medical field (my premiums), or the Govt (my taxes) when you get sick and I don't care. However, I don't need to walk a mile in their shoes to know it's a stupid behavior. I make the judgemnet in the same way I would judge someone as being stupid for jumping off a building, OD'ing on drugs, or lighting themselves on fire. I don't care what the underlying reasons (rational) is, there is always help available in this day and age so it is stupid to continue a behavior you know is dangerous. No one NEEDS to smoke, everyone KNOWS the dangers, and there is HELP AVAILABLE TO STOP! So, ya, I call it stupid. You guys are only gambling against the facts. I bet if you go and ask people who have lung cancer or another disease from smoking if they were stupid they would say YES.

If I crash my car at 90mph, even on the racetrack, most people would say it was a stupid way to die. I routinely take my boat past 100mph on the open ocean. One tricky swell and I die a stupid death. Quit trying to rationalize that smoking isn't stupid when you know it is.

Just remember:
  • Hot Coffee is HOT
  • Fast Food is FATENING
  • Some things we do ARE stupid and we KNOW IT
  • and SMOKING KILLS!

when you are sitting in a hole that you just dug up to your knees in water with 80 mph winds in the middle of the desert with nothing but you and your weapon hoping you make it through another night alive, a dip or smoke can be very comforting when all else is scaring th $hit out of you......I hope that you enjoy your freedom to talk out of your ass and insult the very men and women who defended, even died, for you to speak of such matters.

The Hopkinator said:
Kids ! Kids ! Easy ! This isnt about the worlds idiots that use it, its about a type that carries significantly less to almost no risk increase BY using it. Not everyone who chews or smokes needs elimination from the gene pool. :D Starting with myself.... :rlaugh: Seriously, there are those that just, well, dont want to quit. If you know someone, and care about them, pass this on. Im not advocating tobacco use, Im informing about a less lethal type. Like Jikelly said, its hard for most people to stop that are hardcore. This suggestion is for those people. Your father maybe? Brother ? :nice:

BTW...thanks for the info

SCORPION said:
when you are sitting in a hole that you just dug up to your knees in water with 80 mph winds in the middle of the desert with nothing but you and your weapon hoping you make it through another night alive, a dip or smoke can be very comforting when all else is scaring th $hit out of you......I hope that you enjoy your freedom to talk out of your ass and insult the very men and women who defended, even died, for you to speak of such matters.

WOW! What a stretch.
Sorry genius, but my entire family has been in the military/intelligence fields since the late 1930's. We have 9 decorated war vetrans burried in Veterans cemetaries in 3 states (including my father). Doesn't make smoking any less stupid. :rolleyes:

SCORPION said:

I can appreciate the point of view, but I think we're now talking apples and oranges.