Does a free flowing exhaust have neg. effects on N/A?

Jacob07

Apr 5, 2005
Missouri
I know there are so many posts about exhaust already but I searched for a while and didn't find my answer.

It looks like I'm not going to be doing the turbo swap until around Christmas and my exhaust is rusting off too fast.

In the last 2-3 months I've had the pipe split between the muffler and cats - the pipe detach from the muffer - the hanger holding the tail pipe has came unwelded twice - and my tailpipe is mangled to hell.

I don't mind having a new exhaust system put on now but I want to have whats best for the turbo.

So my question is if I put a 2 1/2" - 3" exhaust on my car and a dynomax ultraflow will it cause anything notable with my N/A engine? (negative effects)

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well depends. the more free flowing the better high end and better for a turbo application. but in N/A you loose bottom end.

to give it to you straight, your N/A will never be a freeway flyer so stick with 2 1/4-2 1/2", get a ranger header and Hiflow cat. as for muffler...in general flowmaster are nice but they do tend to have a tinny sound and on 4cyls is more noticable, magnaflows pretty decent, and dynomax are quiter then mangaflow.

but you want to know whats best for your turbo? well if you prepare your engine and everything with high HP numbers in mind, full single 3" exhaust , Hiflow cat(or lack there of :p) and any straight through design turbo muffler.

if you don't have the intentions of geting to HIGH HP numbers, 2 1/2" setup

If you are going to do the turbo swap around xmas, I'd go 3" right now...no reason to compromise your future setup for 3 months worth of running time...

You ought to take a look at my exhaust systems, I think one of my 3" kits without the downpipe (or get the dp and hold onto it until the swap) would work really well for you...

ExhaustSingleD1.jpg

Attachments

• ExhaustSingleD1.jpg
    ExhaustSingleD1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 86
stinger, what tail pipes bolt up to your y pipe setup? It looks nice, dose it bolt right up like a stocker? Im starting to gather the parts for my turbo swap and I am going to be in the market for a downpipe and exhust rather soon.

Willy, it's designed to bolt up to a 5.0 style tailpipe/muffler setup. I have the GT and LX style 2.5" tailpipes available now, I'll have 3" tailpipes for the single exhaust setups available in ~4 weeks.