Does a junk yard DIY rack and pinion exist?

blk 02

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2002
Shreveport, La
Well here is the situation, 68 coupe that needs to be power steering. I don’t like the stock ram setup so looks like a rack and pinion for me. Has anyone swapped one from another vehicle and made it work? A DIY of sorts. It looks like the cheapest kit is 1500$. If something cant be done cheaper I will end up with a MII front setup, that way I could get a brand new front end (bushings, spring,s shocks), power steering, disc brakes for 2300-2500. but if I could get a R&P in there for 300 (doing the work myself) I would stick with the stock front end and rebuild it. Any suggestions??

Graham

• Sponsors (?)

I did it in my 67 about 5 years ago. I used a rack out of an 80’s Ford Taurus. I also had to use tie rod ends from a mustang two setup. The hardest part was to find the best location to get the best turning radius. I built a cross-member that bolted up to the stock suspension mounting points. I ended up modifying my stock spindles to fix some problems I had with the turning. Then form there you just need to get some lines made form your local hydraulic company, and work out steering hookup. Sorry no pictures now, as I am in Japan. I will try and get my dad to take some if he has time. This was a modified install from a write-up I read in Mustangs Monthly years ago. You might see if anyone remembers the issue. Hope that helps.