Does anyone else NOT like the sound of straight-thru mufflers?

Nobody

Founding Member
May 9, 2000
Kenmore, WA
The way people talk about Magnaflow and Bassani on the forums, you'd think that this was the greatest new invention. Borla and Dynomax have been selling this muffler design for as long as the 5.0L has been around.

A stock cammed motor sounds muddy with straight-through mufflers. H-pipe or X-pipe, I think the stock catback sounds better than any of the above mentioned mufflers. Am I the only one?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm with you. A Mustang should sound like a Mustang. And that means chambered mufflers. Some say that straight-through mufflers make a Mustang sound more exotic. But a Mustang should not sound exotic IMHO. It should rumble and sound a bit mean.

GRGT1994 said:
I'm with you. A Mustang should sound like a Mustang. And that means chambered mufflers. Some say that straight-through mufflers make a Mustang sound more exotic. But a Mustang should not sound exotic IMHO. It should rumble and sound a bit mean.

I agree and disagree. EVERYONE knows that flows sound bad ass on a mustang, and who doesnt have flows on their stang? Its nice to have a little different sound with some different mufflers. I'm not a big fan of the exotic straight though sound, but to each his own. The straight through muffs. remind me of a 4.6

Ok, the Mustang came out in the 60's, so if a Mustang is to sound like a Mustang then to me it should be from the originals, am I right? Back then, the majority of the aftermarket high performance mufflers were of straight thru design, so still today I like the straight though sound over any thing since!

I personally like loud and chambered give ME that sound I like. Drone doesn't bother me at all no matter how bad it is. That being said I don't think it's the muff's (to an extent) the mid pipes have a roll in it as well. The old h vs. x comes to mind sound or raspier with a slight hp increase (<-even then the x has been shown not to beat the h with in the average rpm range [2000-5000]).

My stock 89 has straight thrus (dynomax) with a offroad H...i dont like the sound that much...when my 95 was stock i had flows/offroad h...thing sounded MEAN.

Even though they say the straights are worth a few more hp (i'm not a fan of the way they sound)....I worry more about the sound than 3-5hp.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of my dad's car with a pro-chamber and flows, but Im not real sure I like the sound of my friends 427W with flows...I hope my Ultraflo's sound better on my 418...

sade04 said:
ive got the SLP-loudmouth system...for those that have heard it, how do you like the sound?

I have an o/r h-pipe with 2.5" flowtubes and SLP's dumped. It sounds freakin awesome. Did I mention I have one of the loudest cars in town? I had a video hosted somewhere of me revving then doing a 180, I'll try and find it and post it.

BTW, does anybody know what happened to that website with all the mustang exhaust clips? NOT mustangexhaust.com, I think donjon had it or something. Chris can you post a link to it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. This is my exhaust, taken from donjohn's site at www.donjonhii.com.

http://donjohnii.com/Exhaust_Clips/59.mov

I dont think you can say straight through mufflers in general all sound the same, so I dont think you can just make it a straight through/noise cancelation muffler arguement. The trueth is lots of straight through designs sound different, and even some noise cancelation ones sound different from eachother. It all comes down to personal preference in the end anyway. Whatever you like.

RedHot91GT said:
I dont think you can say straight through mufflers in general all sound the same, so I dont think you can just make it a straight through/noise cancelation muffler arguement. The trueth is lots of straight through designs sound different, and even some noise cancelation ones sound different from eachother. It all comes down to personal preference in the end anyway. Whatever you like.

:stupid: