Does Anyone Make a Lightweight Stock Hood?

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
Two questions in one thread I guess:

1. Does anyone make a lightweight quality stock hood?
2. Has anyone ever used an aftermarket hood withOUT hood pins and not had the "Flying up" issue?

Only wanting the hood for the weight savings and hate the look of hood pins so am I limited to the stock metal hood or do I have options?

• Sponsors (?)

Can't help you on the hood issue, but as far as the hood pins though you might look at aerocatches, I put some on my WRX cause I didn't feel the traditional pins fit the flow of the car.

AeroCatch

When/if I ever go aftermarket hood, I'm definitely doing these. They look really cool, and it seems like you wouldn't forget to lock them as easy as it is to forget pins.

You guys have any pics of them installed? Looks like it would be a PITA to put them in

Not a mustang but you get the idea.

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Maier racing makes a fiberglass stock replacement. I know guys who have ran for years without pins but personally i wouldn't do it. I'd go with some nice flush mount locks. My buddy has the kind that use a pop machine style lock and they're pretty flush with the hood. Shelby makes some pretty cool ones that have a push-and-turn kind of deal to them where there's no keys or pins.

I think it's equal to if not better than Cervinis. They just don't parade their stuff around in all the magazines so they don't have the word of mouth reputation. I relate them more to a performance company than a style company like Cervinis if that makes any sense. You see their stuff on racecars more than street cars but they do a lot of body panels and not just hoods.

Two questions in one thread I guess:

1. Does anyone make a lightweight quality stock hood?
2. Has anyone ever used an aftermarket hood withOUT hood pins and not had the "Flying up" issue?

Only wanting the hood for the weight savings and hate the look of hood pins so am I limited to the stock metal hood or do I have options?

ive seen stock carbon fiber hoods before and i also have been running a fiberglass hood for a good 4 or 5 years and never had a problem, i hate the looke of hoodpins and if you buy a hood with a steel reinforced latch and mounting holes i dont think there is anything to worry about.

Personally, I only know one person that had a hood fly up on him and that guy forgot to latch the hood, and i'd guess that some of the horror stories you hear about hoods flying up is cause someone was in a hurry and just forgot to latch the hood, but nobody wants to take responsibility for such a stupid mistake.

PS, google is your friend :D

The better made hoods like Cervinis (and others) use the OEM double latch system that seems to work well.

That said, I purchased hood pins for my hood after roughly 3 instances of the hood popping up and being caught by the second latch. It's a bit disconcerting to me to be headed down the highway and seeing that hood pop up and saved by the second latch. It was dinconcerting enough that I had to go out and get pins.

I do NOT like the hood pins. I've been considering for quite some time, getting the flush mounted pins that use the key. They're not designed to function like regular hood pins but I figure they'll serve well as a "third latch" for the two that already exist and look a hell of a lot better.

These are of the type that I'm considering going to:

hoodpins-carbon-blk.jpg

I don't want the carbon fiber version (I think rice when I see carbon fiber), but something like this and perhaps painted the color of the car. Usually these ads warn specifically about not using this type of pin as your only means of securing your hood. They're just not adequate to perform that duty on their own.

To the original poster:

Take a look at the Cervinis 2 1/2 inducted cowl. Sure, the duct is 2 inches taller than stock but you really need to bee looking for that to tell the difference.