does anyone use nitrous on the street??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
does anyone use it for having fun??? seems like it would be too much, jst tire spin???

i am a n2o newb, but can u wire a toggle switch to when its off: the car drives totally normal, all by itself. Then with the switch on, activate the n20 to where it only sprays at WOT? can that be done??

• Sponsors (?)

When I had it all I used it on was the street. Either for street races (money runs only) or just having fun by myself. My car hooked from a dig on spray. h/c/i and a 100 shot and it stuck out of the gate on the street :nice:

The toggle switch powers the WOT switch which powers the relay which powers the solenoids.

Don't get caught with a bottle connected in your car if a cop pulls you over. I'm pretty sure it's a federal law of some kind, you get into a lot of trouble. However, you can use it on the street, and like any poweradder, it adds power, lots of it.

90mustangGT said:
Don't get caught with a bottle connected in your car if a cop pulls you over. I'm pretty sure it's a federal law of some kind, you get into a lot of trouble. However, you can use it on the street, and like any poweradder, it adds power, lots of it.
doesn't that suck. All other power adders are ok but for some reason they frown on nitrous.

90mustangGT said:

i heard if it wasnt open your ok :shrug:

but i use mine on the street not too often but once in a while :nice:

woodyy24 said:
i heard if it wasnt open your ok :shrug:

but i use mine on the street not too often but once in a while :nice:

from personal experience , 5 points and 300$ fine , the judge frowns upon this kind of stuff ...

the technical term is operating a vehicle with power booster , yea they got me

actually now that i think about it i remember who told me that. a cop!! lol. there was a few of them and i was showing off the flames for them. and i asked if it was illegal to have the bottle in there. ( i told him it was empty :rolleyes: )
and he told me no... just as long as the bottle is closed while your on normal roads.

btw, they got a kick outta the flames :p

With screaming red paint, 4.10 gears and dumped Flows, using spray on the street in my car is like trying to walk into the airport with an assault rifle.

You can do it, but you better enjoy the moment, because you may never get another chance....

It is way too over the top quick and loud, from exhaust and tire noise, to do very often.

Don't ask me how I know this.....

I have used it in the past, and with BFG drag radials it didnt have any problem hooking!!!

won quit a few races against everything from cadillac's to S-10's with V-8's.

My solution to the cop thing was....a bag of nitrous from compucar. Its a dry system that is powered by your cig. lighter on a curly cord, activated by a pushbutton you hold in between your fingers....and has only one line (dry system up to 100 hp)......its mounted to a board in a gym bag.....and goes behind the passenger seat...(and which the passenger seat back all the way, and layed back a little......its totally hidden). the one line is nylon, and comes from the single solonoid...(which is where the jet lays)....

here is a link to it! Holcomb Motorsports Bag O nitrous on Ebay

how safe is it?? safe as you are. we used our heaters in the winter to heat the bottle (room temp basically) and AC in the summer to cool it...yes cool it. After geting a fresh bottle it would be very hot...........I remember this one time, this buddy of mine and myself were trying to race a little going to the track........both our bottles had just gotten filled and both were to hot and at to high a pressure for the solonoid to work lol......after a few minutes with the AC blasting.......It was ON! :)

here is a few safty tips....
NEVER USE a BOTTLE HEATER without monitering your pressure and temp!
never spray nitrous on a wet street.......or in front of a cop!!!
Never engage nitrous while the engine is off.
Never engage nitrous while under a min, of 3200 rpm's
and my favorite.....
Never hook a nitrous system up on a street car with a WOT switch.....(thats just my preference....I'd rather use a pushbutton.....if trouble arises, simply let off the button.....)!

Ben

when i lived in daytona i used to get together with some of the local mustang guys at about 2 or 3 a.m. we would have somebody in new smyrna beach ( a few miles away ) and somebody at the next exit down watching to give us the all clear - then we would haul ass from the first daytona exit to the new smyrna 44 exit. if there was any traffic we abprted the run and tried again a few days later. the cops saw us a few times but we never caught any real slack from them. anyway, onto the topic at hand. my car was just about the closest to stock - 3:55's, bcam, tfs intake and underdrives, aluminum driveshaft, other small mods - and i ran a zex kit with a 125 shot. i always hit it in the bottom of third gear and it pulled crazy hard. in fourth it didn't pull as hard of course but the acceleration was much smoother and waaaaay fun. there were quite a few times i led the pack for a while, until somebody with a better top end build caught up with me. i never experimented with it much in 1st or 2nd gear unless i wanted to shoo a few ricer kids away with along 2nd gear burnout. nitrous can be used on the street if you use moderation and common sense. if you're hopping from red light to red light chances are nitrous won't really be practical. and as fa as nitrous being illegal or frowned on the the police, i really think that depends on where you are. in daytona i had a few friends who were cops and they never gave my nitrous rig a second glance. a couple of them even had nitrous in their own cars. i think if you're not certain if nitrous is legal in your state or not the easy way to find out is jusat to call the police department and ask.

I dont understand how people are getting in trouble for having nitrous in there cars? As many times I have gotten pulled over, I have NEVER been asked to open my hatch.. if I did... why tell them its open, they wont know the difference... I had one officer ask me if i had nitrous in the car, then questioned why I had so many gages, I simply told him, I had about 6 grand in the motor and like to know what its doing... Anyways, I have ridden in a few nitrous cars on the street, and its a good time, be sure to have a nice drag radial tho.... But filling bottles does get empty quick..

Corey