Does it make sense to use HIPO headers?

I'll never buy Hedman headers. I got a pair for my truck and they had a pin hole in the weld at the collector. I didn't install them. My friend has them on his truck and they have the exact same issue and his leaks.

• Sponsors (?)

I hate my headers

I have some decent headers on my car when I purchased it. I restored the car and thought I'd leave them in. Anyone who actually drives thier stang much will have to admit, headers (at least long tubes) are a contant source of attention. They leak easily, drastically increase heat to just about anything on the front half of the car, and they all get scraped by even the slightest speed bump or bad parking lot. So I investigated with real people who did the Hipo/351 swap. All of them reported better low end torque, better apeal on "stock" looks, and none said they could feel any difference in top end. This was backed up by a dyno run at Dallas Mustang. The car actually made more torque up to about 3000 RPM with cast iron maniafolds over long tubes. It did lose a few HP on the top end, where most of us wont use anyway. I'm going to Hipo's, with a bit of grinding to smooth the inside out a bit. I'l let you know how mine works out.

BTW this is intended for all us 289/302 small builds. you guys with strokers and big bore engines will certainly benefit from the headers.

That was an excelent post.

I don't know why anyone has trouble with headers leaking all the time, my only conslusion is that people are buying headers that are poorly made or they are not installing them properly. Two little tips for installing headers. Use some RTV on the gasket, both sides. Torque the bolts from the center out. If the headers are poorly made, you may want to have them checked to make sure all of the primary tubes where they meet the exhaust port on the head and make sure they are all even. I've heard of peolpe buying a certain brand of headers which the primary tubes were not all true and needed some grinding......

For those who have long tubes and scrape everywhere.... why did you buy long tubes ? Mid length headers are the best of both worlds. Long tubes are a giant pain in the butt and don't net you any better performance on most engines then a mid length or even some shorties.

As far as the heat from the headers is concerned.... if you guys don't want to deal with the heat then have them ceramic/jet hot coated. It will DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of heat that escapes from the headers. It costs money but it makes your entire car more reliable and improves performance because your air filter isn't sucking in hot air.

For those who have long tubes and scrape everywhere.... why did you buy long tubes ? Mid length headers are the best of both worlds. Long tubes are a giant pain in the butt and don't net you any better performance on most engines then a mid length or even some shorties.

Guess I failed to mention I purchased this car with the headers on it....knowing I would replace them. Now I am researching the best ones to get that will fit my listed combo. Only found one place that will say they have anything to fit. Not sure it is worth their price for me and the use of the car. Other well known sources will not commit to being able to fit my setup so I will not buy on a "maybe".

So I investigated with real people who did the Hipo/351 swap. All of them reported better low end torque, better apeal on "stock" looks, and none said they could feel any difference in top end. This was backed up by a dyno run at Dallas Mustang. The car actually made more torque up to about 3000 RPM with cast iron maniafolds over long tubes. It did lose a few HP on the top end, where most of us wont use anyway.

Interesting. Do you have some figures or facts to show to back this up? I would love to see the dyno results.

Because the dyno tests done at Modified Mustangs & Fords show the opposite. The HIPOs did not make a difference on the performance, compared to logs. Headers gave some 10 HP increase. That test was done with a stock 302 with 2" exhaust pipes and generic passenger-car mufflers.

A small modification to the engine & exhaust might make a difference. I don't know, because I have not seen any figures presented anywhere....Only people with "feelings" :shrug:

Because the dyno tests done at Modified Mustangs & Fords show the opposite. The HIPOs did not make a difference on the performance, compared to logs. Headers gave some 10 HP increase. That test was done with a stock 302 with 2" exhaust pipes and generic passenger-car mufflers.

Ford claimed a difference, FWIW. However, the real improvement with the HP manifolds would come only if the heads were port-matched to them. The real holdup with a "stock 302" is the the outlets in the stock heads completely suck, so bad you'd think they were cast by a saboteur from Chevy. It takes only a couple hours with a die grinder to fix them, and results are immediate and obvious. Without this, the HP manifolds, or even headers are a complete waste of time and money.

I got my hipo headers and plan to use the Turbo 2 1/4" exhaust offered by several of the Mustang parts vendors.

Does it pay to paint the manifolds?
I just want them cast iron grey (as they are now), but will the paint last?
sparx