Does nitrous work better with high or low compression?

stangboy

Founding Member
Aug 31, 1999
New Orleans, LA
This a subject some friends and I have been debating for a while. But I'm not sure where I can get a definate answer from. I thought I read somewhere that you'll get better results from it with higher compression. I just can't remember where I read that. Can all the nitrous gurus in here clear this up for me?

• Sponsors (?)

First let me say i'm not a guru, never ran nitrous. But, what i understand is that with nitrous it doesn't really matter....forced induction is where compression becomes an issue (even though i've seen 13:1 blower combos in race applications). I would guess that higher compression would make more power. I'm interested to hear what the "gurus" have to say :)

Nitrous complements high compression engines well mainly because of its extremely cool intake charge temperatures. This cooling effect wards off detonation when run on pump gas in high comp engines. Nitrous also effectively carries more oxygen into the combustion chamber without compressing air like turbos or superchargers, because of its chemical makeup, so combustion chamber pressure before ignition can be lower, further reducing the chance of detonation.

All engines make more power with higher compression ratios (to an extent), the only reason you see low CRs is in turbo/super engines is so that they can run on pump gas without detonation. I've never seen a N2O engine with low CR, it just wouldn't make much sense.

while all of the replys are acurate, I have had pretty good luck on my car with nitrous even though my compression ratio is moderate(9.5-1). I would probably see better numbers if it was higher compression but i went with 9.5 because I have future plans of a blower...

Nitrous complements high compression engines well mainly because of its extremely cool intake charge temperatures. This cooling effect wards off detonation when run on pump gas in high comp engines. Nitrous also effectively carries more oxygen into the combustion chamber without compressing air like turbos or superchargers, because of its chemical makeup, so combustion chamber pressure before ignition can be lower, further reducing the chance of detonation.

All engines make more power with higher compression ratios (to an extent), the only reason you see low CRs is in turbo/super engines is so that they can run on pump gas without detonation. I've never seen a N2O engine with low CR, it just wouldn't make much sense.

So that must be why you lower your timing when you spray right???

well this is good info! I'm gonna spray my 360 gonna hit it with a 200 or 250 shot here soon.This will be on a 8:1 or so compression ratio engine.Like most of you have seen i have no clue what my compression is,or yet what it is at.The system i'm gonna use it trick flows plate system that goes between the upper and lower. peace

john:p

well this is good info! I'm gonna spray my 360 gonna hit it with a 200 or 250 shot here soon.This will be on a 8:1 or so compression ratio engine.Like most of you have seen i have no clue what my compression is,or yet what it is at.The system i'm gonna use it trick flows plate system that goes between the upper and lower. peace

john:p

Man, I'd be more tempted to throw a LOT of boost at that car if it really has that low a CR. Might as well take advantage of it, and be able to run pump gas to boot.