Does SVO = FRPP?

JimBowy

Nov 8, 2003
Downriver, Mi
I think this is the case but I'm not sure. A lot of the stuff that came with my 5.0 was said to be... SVO. Examples: trans, clutch, aluminum driveshaft, etc.

The equivalent today of SVO, is it Ford Racing Performance Parts?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

super302 said:
SVO=special vehicle operations, frpp=ford racing performance parts...they are similar (both ford...duh) They aren't the same tho, make dif. stuff.

Well, does SVO still exist? If so, what's their site? I'd like product links to all of the SVO stuff I have... :shrug:

super302 said:
SVO=special vehicle operations, frpp=ford racing performance parts...they are similar (both ford...duh) They aren't the same tho, make dif. stuff.

I'd like to hear more explanation on this... :rolleyes:

Ford Motorsport Special Vehicle Operations = Ford Motorsport = Ford Racing Performance Parts = Ford Racing ... all different phases, names, nicknames, etc. for the same group.

super302 said:
SVO is a branchoff of FoMoCo, along with FRPP, they both make performance parts for our fox's

No. Still wrong.

They are all the same. Look up the part number for a set of gears that came in an SVO marked box and it's the same as a FRPP box or even a Ford box. Same thing with all parts. They were just different names of the "group" at different times...and sometimes at the same time. You used to buy a rear end stud girdle made by T/A that had SVO stamped on it -- now you get them and they say Ford Racing Performance Parts (logo) on it...same part number. Same thing with Cobra intakes -- for a while they came through with the FRPP logo on them -- but it was still a Cobra intake.

All the same.

SVO didn't sell parts. They were a group at Ford that built the SVO Mustang and help engineer some high performance parts that later showed up in the Ford Motorsport catalog. The existed from 1983-1986.
Ford Motorsport is a R & D team that tests aftermarket parts and then buys the patents from the designers and labels them their own, making it legal to sell them as Ford Motorsport parts. Example: Ford Racing (they changed their name) sells an aluminum intake manifold for a carburated 302 that says Ford Racing on it. It is an Edelbrock Performer RPM. The only difference is that it has a different logo on it and Ford has tested it on engines and found that it works. They don't sell what doesn't work.
SVT is very similar to what SVO was. They have lasted much longer and have had better success building great vehicles and marketing them.
SVO and SVT are Ford employees working on fast cars (wouldn't that be great!) Ford Racing is a separate corperation licensed and authorized by Ford to use their name.

E2ZZ nailed it - SVO (earlier) and SVT (currently) are part of Ford the manufacturer - Ford Motor Company employees responsible for high performance vehicle product development. FRPP is licensed to use Ford's name - but that's it. They're VERY LOOSELY associated with Ford the manufacturer, and I don't know of anything they produce that's actually Ford product. Although I'm sure someone will post and fill me in. E2ZZ gave a few examples; others - FRPP 1.7 pedestal mount roller rockers come in a FRPP box, but they have the Crane logo clearly stamped on them and are designed/manufactured by Crane. Same for the E303 cam - designed by Crane and identical to Crane's PowerMax 2040.

Ok guys -- explain the examples I gave earlier of gears and a rear end girdle.

I've personally bought gears that came in a Ford box, SVO box, and FRPP box -- all with the same part numbers. Also have purchased a rear stud girdle -- made by T/A, but had SVO stamped on it and came in an SVO box -- now you buy them under the same part number and it has the FRPP logo on it.

These are things I have personally purchased, not something I saw in a magazine or heard from a friend or anything else...

I think we're talking about a R&D/Performance/whatever you want to call them group of people in Ford who license/manufacture/sell parts -- they all end up coming through Ford. I contest that they are all the same group and have just held different names or nicknames throughout the different phases of their existance. I do not believe there is a section of cubicles in Ford that has SVO on their walls and one that has FRPP on their walls, and they compete for sales, think up totally different ideas, sell different parts, and compete in tugs-of-wars at the company picnics.

I may not be 100% right on -- there may actually be some technical distinction, but with all the same parts and part numbers existing at the same time and some being branded Ford, some FRPP (earlier FMS), some SVO -- I don't see it.

Show me some evidence to the contrary and I might think otherwise -- but until then...

I think you're still missing it 89 - SVO/SVT employees actually work for Ford Motor Company. If you know a little about how vehicle manufacturers are organized, most all of them have a group that is responsible for something called Product Development. As the name implies, they develop new product for the company. In the case of Ford, SVO/SVT (Special Vehicle Operations, Special Vehicle Team) are the people that have developed new high performance products for Ford - cars like the turbo SVO Stangs back in the 80's, the Cobras, the Focus SVT, the Lightnings, the new Ford GT, Mercury Maraurder (mispelled I'm sure), etc.

FRPP employees do not work for Ford Motor Company - Ford Racing Performance Products is a marketing company that is licensed to use Ford's name and performance product references (like Cobra, SVO, SVT, etc.); it's an entirely different outfit than SVO/SVT. SVO/SVT are actually developing vehicles you can buy new at a Ford dealership. FRPP sells stuff under license with the Ford Racing name on it, as well as other Ford trademarked references on it (Cobra, SVT, SVO, etc.) - and the vast majority of it is actually built/designed by some other third party that has nothing to do with Ford. It's entirely possible that something you bought from FRPP has a reference to SVO or SVT because FRPP is licensed to use those brands.

And I'm still confused on what you're trying to say - earlier you said this "Ford Motorsport Special Vehicle Operations = Ford Motorsport = Ford Racing Performance Parts = Ford Racing ... all different phases, names, nicknames, etc. for the same group."

Later you said this - "I contest that they are all the same group and have just held different names or nicknames throughout the different phases of their existance."

Maybe I'm missing it, but those two quotes seem to be in direct conflict with each other.

While I don't know for certain, I've had enough corporate experience over the years to guess that Ford wanted to have a presence in the high-performance parts business. Not only does it enhance their brand, but they earn revenue from licensing their name/brand. However, I expect their lawyers did NOT want the potential liability that comes from being directly involved in the manufacture/distribution/marketing/sales of such high performance products. The way around that is the agreement they've struck with FRPP. They simply license the use of their name/registered trademarks (like Ford, SVT, SVO, Cobra, etc.) for use by FRPP. But that's the only way they're connected -- and that significantly reduces or completely eliminates their liability if some yahoo goes out and kills himself while using some of FRPP's high performance parts.

Michael Yount said:
I think you're still missing it 89 - SVO/SVT employees actually work for Ford Motor Company. If you know a little about how vehicle manufacturers are organized, most all of them have a group that is responsible for something called Product Development. As the name implies, they develop new product for the company. In the case of Ford, SVO/SVT (Special Vehicle Operations, Special Vehicle Team) are the people that have developed new high performance products for Ford - cars like the turbo SVO Stangs back in the 80's, the Cobras, the Focus SVT, the Lightnings, the new Ford GT, Mercury Maraurder (mispelled I'm sure), etc.

FRPP employees do not work for Ford Motor Company - Ford Racing Performance Products is a marketing company that is licensed to use Ford's name and performance product references (like Cobra, SVO, SVT, etc.); it's an entirely different outfit than SVO/SVT. SVO/SVT are actually developing vehicles you can buy new at a Ford dealership. FRPP sells stuff under license with the Ford Racing name on it - and the vast majority of it is actually built/designed by some other third party that has nothing to do with Ford.

I think you're wrong on this one.

Like I said, if you show me something that says FRPP is not part of Ford and each one of these groups is different, I might change my mind -- but my examples still stand.

As an additional example to you -- one that you can go look at: open up your FRPP catalog. In the information in the front, read about Ford engineers developing these parts and how FRPP is committed to developing performance parts, analyzing and testing engine and powertrain combinations. Read about how Ford is one of the leading manufacturers of performance parts. Read about how these are called "factory performance parts." This is clearly not just some outside marketing company -- it's all Ford.

There are a coupe references to SVT being a different group, which we knew -- but here's a direct quote for you: "This catalog is designed to aquaint you with the many high performance products offerred by the Ford Motor Company and selected performance affiliates." The first 160 pages or so are all FRPP. Then the next 15 are SVT. Then there are some "affiliates" like APC, etc. who take up some space at the end of the book. This is all in the latest catalog. One thing to take note of-- all parts that were previously stamped SVO (in previous years) are gone, replaced with the exact same part stamped FRPP -- with the same part number. Even some parts are listed twice -- like you can find wheels in the SVT section that are also in the FRPP section -- same part numbers. BTW -- also note that all parts have a Ford part number

That should leave no doubt that FRPP is all Ford, and these different "groups" are all really sitting under one umbrella.

Still feel free to disagree with me -- but be prepared to offer up some evidence. :)

Michael Yount said:
And I'm still confused on what you're trying to say - earlier you said this "Ford Motorsport Special Vehicle Operations = Ford Motorsport = Ford Racing Performance Parts = Ford Racing ... all different phases, names, nicknames, etc. for the same group."

Later you said this - "I contest that they are all the same group and have just held different names or nicknames throughout the different phases of their existance."

Maybe I'm missing it, but those two quotes seem to be in direct conflict with each other.

I don't think you missed it there, I think I misspoke (by saying I contested -- my fault). I am in fact saying that they are all one and the same. FMS very publicly became FRPP some time ago. While over the years the other names have sort of just blended together, while always keeping some sort of Ford Racing or Ford Motorsport in the name.

89 - I think the link you listed supports the previous descriptions by a number of us about how SVO/SVT evolved over the years -- they are the high performance vehicle product development arm of Ford. It seems clear. Didn't you wonder why FRPP isn't mentioned at all in that link? Also, if FRPP were part of Ford as you believe, why would they offer their products to any shop that can re-sell them - like Summit for example? Or for that matter, my brother's independent wheel and tire shop down in Augusta, GA -- I got most of my FRPP parts at his cost -- DEEPLY discounted from the retail price.

Michael -- I don't think you read neither what I posted nor the link posted. FRPP is clearly mentioned, and it is also clearly mentioned that SVT is NOT SVO, nor was it ever. Allow me...

Paraphrased from the webpage I posted:

SVO (full name Ford Motorsport Special Vehicle Operations) starts in 1981 building parts. They then build their own car (SVO). They then become FRT (Ford Racing Technology) producing FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts). SVT(SVT/SVE) is created at the end of 1991. They are a seperate group.

Quote from that webpage:

Ford Racing Technology is the new name for Special Vehicle Operations. SVO develops high performance parts, manages Ford's involvement in racing. SVO/Ford Motorsports parts are now known as Ford Racing Performance Parts.

SVO=FRPP This is all the same group inside Ford. SVT also exists inside Ford, but is not the same group.

Now back to the very first thing I posted here:

Ford Motorsport Special Vehicle Operations = Ford Motorsport = Ford Racing Performance Parts = Ford Racing ... all different phases, names, nicknames, etc. for the same group.

Now that is about as clear as I think I can make it --

With this and the help of the other sources I have posted, I don't see how anyone could continue to disagree. My posts have all said the same, and I offered supporting info to back it up. This is black and white to me.

I'm sure if I need to, I can find more evidence to support me. But I have yet to see anything that contradicts what I've been saying...

-----------

What I did learn though, is that SVT is merely a marketing group, while SVE is who is actually building the high performance vehicles. That is something I think most people do not know.