does the cyl. with the highest comp. usally break first (under boost)?

BelueLX

Founding Member
Jul 10, 1999
does the cylinder in a 5.0 with the highest compression usually throw a rod/ blow a headgasket/ break a connecting rod because its making more power than the rest? i was wondering because my car has 120# compression on all cylinders except #4 and it blew a headgasket on the rear of #4 a few weeks ago. will it be the first to break if i keep increasing the boost and nitrous to my engine or is it just coincidence that the gasket blew on my #4 cylinder in the first place?

• Sponsors (?)

my guess is that it's in your tune.. especially if your running dual power adders, you made the comment of boost and nitrous. chances are you detonated. Detonation is the most likely cause of broken parts and blown head gaskets IMO, if your running over 525 fwhp on a stock short block then block flex can come into play as well.

It would be my guess that whichever cylinder that the head gasket decides to let go in... THAT cylinder was the one that had the worst detination that caused the H/G to go.

Or you leaned out? [in said cylinder]

Are you spraying a small a shot to intercool the Vortechs boost... is what I am assuming here?

1] What parts from front to back does you fuel system consist of?

2] What type of fuel were you using when this happened?

If you are using nitrous and a supercharger, both, please dont say 93 octane pump gas. :nonono: