Does this actually work?

Legendary

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
City of Angels
Any ill affects from doing it? Have any of you guys did this on a street driven car?

582401_67_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

20 hp??????? WTF. I seroiusly dout that it is credible. By cutting the electrode would require a much higher voltage to jump the air gap. More than likely exceding the capability of the stock coil. The gains he may have seen might have been because the dynos aren't standardized to compensate for atmospheric conditions. Also if you are a CNT hair off on the dyno it can tweak your #s.

I'm quite pesimistic.

I've been doing it for year's on both full out race engine's and street engine's including my current street driven 408 without any problem's.... it's an old trick that hot rodder's use to do all the time back in the day and I've kind of gotten into the habit of doing it to all my plug's (Run Autolite Only).. I've never tried a "before & after" run on the dyno to see how much actual gain there is if any but there is no doubt in my mind that the simple mod is worth a bit of power & throttle response just as indexing the plug's is. Simple Mod's like these may be a bit time consuming but there more then worth it in the long run. Every little bit of horsepower you can get all add's up.

Shon

408stroker5.0 said:
I've been doing it for year's on both full out race engine's and street engine's including my current street driven 408 without any problem's.... it's an old trick that hot rodder's use to do all the time back in the day and I've kind of gotten into the habit of doing it to all my plug's (Run Autolite Only).. I've never tried a "before & after" run on the dyno to see how much actual gain there is if any but there is no doubt in my mind that the simple mod is worth a bit of power & throttle response just as indexing the plug's is. Simple Mod's like these may be a bit time consuming but there more then worth it in the long run. Every little bit of horsepower you can get all add's up.

Shon

Dead On... :nice: Autolite race series plugs already come with the cut back ground strap.

This is an old trick - I first learned about it about 15+ years ago in an article on a 383 race engine Joe Sherman built. Yes, it works, but not everyone will get the same HP bump.

A grinding wheel - and you have to be careful not to grind the center electrode. Another trick is called "indexing" and I assume you all know what that means. Here is a grpahic of waht you want to do....

tmoss said:
A grinding wheel - and you have to be careful not to grind the center electrode. Another trick is called "indexing" and I assume you all know what that means. Here is a grpahic of waht you want to do....

Thanks....maybe I'll give it a shot. If I mess up, I'll just buy new plugs.....lol

We have seen 6 to 8 RWHP on the dyno by swapping to a plug with a cut back strap... This was done on 2 different cars... One with E7's and another with TW's.. Both had fresh plugs before the swap..

The cut back strap unshailds the spark...

perkys stang said:
I prefer gapping around .045 just because we have never seen a gain form the larger gaps.. I have seen loses from gaps to big when the car misfires. I prefer the gap a little tighter.... I personally run .042 on mine..

Interesting that you say that. The last time I put plugs in I gapped them at .054 and every sense I got a back fire when driving the car cold. After it warmed up it ran just fine. But I thought that the MSD would give enough charge for the bigger gap.