does this sound good? (rearend)

Modular2v

Founding Member
Jun 30, 2002
oklahoma
how does this sound good for my rearend build up guys? Moser 31 spline axels, eaton posi, and 3.73 gears. My car only has 10k miles on it so do you think i will need to buy a new shim kit for it? I wouldnt be building my rear up but 3 weeks ago at the track my car started to only spin one tire so i figured what the hell. Any suggestions or info you guys could provide feel free to share.
Thanks,
Kenny

• Sponsors (?)

I have a mach1 and I just installed 4.30's 31 spline moser axles, 31 spline FRPP trak lok and I also installed all new bearing and seals...I'm sure it was overkill but for $100 it was worth it to me....

Sounds like a good setup, just needs a bigger gear. :nice:

Personally, I wouldn't buy used gears. They're not that expensive, plus you don't know if there was a crappy install job on them. Gears can be picky little bastards, so I would buy new just to help eliminate any possibilities of something going wrong.

Look, I fretted for months over which gear to go with on my '00 GT. I even bought 3.73's and them shipped them back for the 4.10's. I would have been pissed with the 3.73's. In fact, next time, I will go with 4.30's. Don't fear the gear!

In my case, though, my Mustang is a third car. If this were not the case, then I would have stayed with the 3.73. However, in retrospect, 4.10's would have been fine if I were driving the car all day.

If youre going to be doing a rear end rebuild like you've explained, Ide get a shim kit just to be on the safe side. After all, you are replacing the axles, differential, ring gear, pinion gear, pinion nut, and crush sleeve already. Might as well get the whole install kit and call it a day.

I agree about the 4.30 gear statement. I have my 4.30 gears waiting install. Just cant get these a-holes to send my new ABS exciter rings.

RED98Z28 said:
with a t3650 transmission and 4.10s what rpm would i be turning at 75 mph I dont go over 75 anywhere else but the track and most of the time i dont go over 70

I have an early 01, so we have different tranny's but my 4.10's are turning about 2700 rpmish @ 75mph.

RED98Z28 said:
does anyone know what a t3650 would be turning at around 70mph with 4.10s

People need to stop whining when it comes to gears. OMGWTFBBQ! I'm turning 3000 on teh highway....OH NOES!!! :notnice:

Get the gears, go on the highway, and after 5 minutes you'll realize how amazingly stupid your concerns were. Then when you floor it for the first time, you realize you would want to shoot yourself in the eye if you went with anything less.

GinoGT said:

People need to stop whining when it comes to gears. OMGWTFBBQ! I'm turning 3000 on teh highway....OH NOES!!! :notnice:

Get the gears, go on the highway, and after 5 minutes you'll realize how amazingly stupid your concerns were. Then when you floor it for the first time, you realize you would want to shoot yourself in the eye if you went with anything less.
why do i always agree with this guy :p