Does this sound right for interior painting?

Evenflow

yellow snow cone lover
Nov 4, 2004
Mass
I want to do something custom with my car so I think I want to paint some interior pieces. Everything that I have penciled in red.

View attachment 508495

hit it all with some 400 or 600 grit sand paper
spray it with some high build primer
wet sand that with 600 grit
spray another coat of primer
wet sand that with 600
spray another coat of primer
wet sand that with 600
get some automotive paint in a spray can
its all cheap crap
but its whats available
at autozone
spray multiple coats
let it dry real good
wetsand it with 1500 grit until its all dull
wetsand with 2000 grit
polish with 3m rubbing compound
apply 3m glaze
done

A lot of work, but I want it to look nice. Im thinking a jet black glossy.

• Sponsors (?)

This does not sound right to me to use all that primer on plastic parts. Just clean and paint them just as you would a plastic model car. Even though these parts are molded in the color of the interior, they already have factory paint on them, you will be able to see this better when you take these parts off and look at the other side.

Also if your going with a factory dash color they do make paint just for that. It seems to hold up longer. Also with that much sanding I think you will have no texture left and it will be smooth is that what your after? Also I'd throw some clear on there after the base color and before wet sanding if you use auto paint.

Your way sounds like it should look sweet. I'm lazy. I cleaned the parts with my gf's fingernail polish remover, then painted with silver and then a clear coat. Cheap paint from parts store. I even did the mustang lettering. It's been on for 5 months or so and no problems.
Interior2.jpg

Interior.jpg

Attachments

• Interior2.jpg
    Interior2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 48
[QUOTE='03GTinFLA]Your way sounds like it should look sweet. I'm lazy. I cleaned the parts with my gf's fingernail polish remover, then painted with silver and then a clear coat. Cheap paint from parts store. I even did the mustang lettering. It's been on for 5 months or so and no problems.
[/QUOTE]

how'd you do the lettering? was it hard? my bf wants to do that & the horse on the steering wheel. i think it'd be hard to do, but if you did it.....maybe i'll think it's not a bad idea after all :D

the horse on the steering wheel is a NO NO, unless you will NEVER use the horn. Remember its very flexible vinyl there

myponyrocks said:
the horse on the steering wheel is a NO NO, unless you will NEVER use the horn. Remember its very flexible vinyl there
I wouldn't think the horse would flex, would it. It's thicker than the surrounding vinyl. I was going to paint mine when I touched up the lettering, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Besides, I don't use the horn, I use the finger. All the Q tips on the road down here are deaf anyways.

Stangsgrl said:
how'd you do the lettering? was it hard? my bf wants to do that & the horse on the steering wheel. i think it'd be hard to do, but if you did it.....maybe i'll think it's not a bad idea after all :D
I used a little bottle of touch up paint from autozone or napa or something. IT has a roller ball on one side or you can flip the tip and it has a small brush end. I used the brush end. It's more time consuming than hard. Long tube install was hard. It's been on there a long time but it has flaked off in a small spot so I'm gonna re-apply soon. And if you mess up the pony just take some nail polish remover and wipe it off. :nice:
Make sure to clean the surface very well before painting.